Feb 22, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have signed reliever Chan Ho Park to a one-year, $1.2 million deal with incentives that could reach $300,000. The deal is pending a physical. And, presumably, the shaving of his Chan Ho Beard.
Park put up a 2.52 ERA in 50 innings out of the pen last year with the kind of stuff and velocity we haven’t seen from him since the Clinton administration. For the second straight year he signs with a team he blanked in the previous postseason, having jumped from L.A. to Philly after pitching well in the 2008 NLCS. There’s probably a primacy/recency lesson in there somewhere, but I just can’t tease it out right now.
If he pitches in 2010 like he did in 2009, the Yankees will have a pretty dominant 7th, 8th and 9th inning bullpen trifecta in Park, Hughes/Joba and Rivera. Good signing by Cashman and the Yankees.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)