Diamondbacks to retire Luis Gonzalez's No. 20?

Feb 23, 2010, 8:14 PM EDT

The Diamondbacks are considering making a change to a current club policy that mandates only retiring the uniform numbers of players who are inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  It’s a silly policy in the first place and makes little sense for a club with less than 15 years under its belt.

“We believe it is time to revisit that particular company policy,”
D-backs team president and CEO Derrick Hall said. “It’s limiting and
restrictive for a franchise that is so young and successful. We have
some players who deserve consideration for their numbers to be retired,
whether or not their names are ever enshrined in the Hall of Fame.”

As noted by MLB.com’s
Steve Gilbert
, such a change could also clear the way for the
retirement
of Luis Gonzalez’s No. 20.  Gonzo played for the Diamondbacks for eight years (1999-2006) and was a fan favorite throughout his time in Arizona.  He retired with 2,591 total major league hits, 354 home runs and a .283/.367/.479 career batting line, and he is now working within the Diamondbacks’ front office.

1. EC Hudson - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Let’s see … honor Gonzo by retiring the number of the guy who batted in the World Series winning run, has been a positive role model for children and adults, and was “the face of the franchise”?
    Why is there even a question?

2. stroboy51 - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Admittedly, Gonzalez has been one of the good guys in baseball for a lot of years, but those 57 homers in 2001 are another story, I’m afraid.

3. R. Cierley - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I had the opportunity to actually meet Mr. Gonzalez Last year. It was something I thought would never happen In my lifetime. He is a very class act. I actually felt very comfortable around him, and Mr Derrick Hall. We talked for awhile, and he is so down to earth. He has a genuine personality, and is a person that is of great moral character. Mr Gonzalez has been a great representative for the Diamondbacks but first and foremost a great personable family man. I just can’t say enough about the man. In these current time with all the scandal in sports athletes. He stands alone. One of the last of the good guys!
    Everyone who has negative comments, please don’t attempt to drag him down through the mud. He is an exemplary person. Anyone who has spent any time with him would know what I am talking about.
    Mr. Hall please retire his uniform number.

4. Michael Murphy - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM

As long as the plaque bearing his name has a picture of a syringe next to it, I have no problem with Arizona showing respect to such a person of “great moral character” and “one of the last good guys” in the game.

5. R. Cierley - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

This is a very bold ignorant statement! Do you in fact have concrete evidence that would support your statement? This is a first for me to hear this, the MLB does not even know about this.
    This is exactly what I was speaking of in my comment. There will always be someone like you that will make false allegations against a person who is at the top. These people need to really do some serious soul searching.
    If you choose to hang a label on someone, first take a serious look at yourself and what you have and have not done in your life.
    Peace.

6. peter pan - Mar 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Gonzales was no different than any of the others. How he stayed out of the spotlight and the roid scandal is beyond me. He was just smarter than Bonds, Giambi, etc. If anyone tells me he wasn’t doing roids, I would call them a liar. Players don’t jump 25 home runs in one season. Reality check. Idolize players that deserve it. Don’t reward bad behavior.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3985)