Hearsay quote of the day: Johan Santana

Feb 23, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT

“[Koufax] told me one time that if he had my changeup back when he pitched, nobody would ever be able to hit him.”

Johan Santana, offering into evidence a statement, other than one made by the declarant, to prove the truth of the matter
asserted.  But just because something is hearsay doesn’t mean it isn’t true.  Indeed, if Sandy Koufax had Johan Santana’s changeup back in the 60s the Cold War would have ended twenty five years earlier than it did.

1. Ronald Reagan - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Uh, excuse me Craig, but I single handedly won the Cold War during my time as president.

2. Jonny5 - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I used to respect this guy. Does he ever shut the hell up about how great he is??? Now I can only respect his ability. What a DOUCHE BAG! I can see talking smack about how great the team is, or teammates, but when it comes to yourself, please show some humility. Now I really hope his arm falls off and soon.

3. Charles Gates - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Pirates are better than ninjas.

4. Josh Borken - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM

If Johan adds an exclamation point I think we have an 803(2) excited utterance

5. BC - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Yeah, well Santana never threw the ball 112 miles an hour like Koufax did. No pitcher was ever more dominant for a 5 or 6 year stretch than Koufax.

6. Dan - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Josh stole my joke.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi5LESZ7_Kc is awesome, if you liked Josh’s joke.

7. Dan - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Josh, and Craig –
    Apparently, Koufax told the press he told Johan to “stay healthy”, suggesting that he’s giving medical advice. Maybe we can reverse the 803 exception for relating to a diagnosis not related to litigation?

8. Aarcraft - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I think you all are missing the key point. He’s not offering it for the truth of the matter asserted therein – I imagine he doesn’t care if nobody actually would have been able to hit Koufax if Koufax had his curveball. He is merely offering it to suggest that Koufax thinks he is awesome. That is not hearsay, by definition.

9. Pope John Paul II - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM

This again. Cram it, Ronnie.

10. Mikhail Gorbachev - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Let’s be clear about this – I was the one who tore the @%!!$#%@!! wall down!

11. Ronald Reagan - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM

No, you gave up on keeping it up. I may have been sleeping at many of those meetings, but your wife told me that much. Now I wonder if she meant the wall or not??????

12. Dan - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

He’s offering it to demonstrate that his changeup is awesome, which it is. So yeah, he is offering it up for truth of the matter asserted therein. But it’s so obviously true, I think the judge would just take judicial notice of the fact. And the fact that Reagan >>>> PJP2

13. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM

You still haven’t done anything about that map of Zembla on your head, have you?
    Listen, Mikhail, you have to let the neocons have their little daydreams. History was only put there for them to piss on anyway. You know that addlebrained B-actor didn’t “win” the cold war any more than the IRS “stole” the life savings that screeching homicidal lunatic who ruined a perfectly good Piper cherokee and burned his own family out of their house. You just made the mistake of letting Bernie Madoff invest your national treasury bonds in potash futures. But that will be our little secret, won’t it?

14. Mikhail Gorbachev - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM

It’s not Zembia, it’s Madagascar. Get it straight.

15. Benny Blanco - Feb 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM

What a hater…

16. IdahoMariner - Feb 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I was having trouble getting motivated to finish my brief due this afternoon…nothing like a little baseball-mixed-with-legal-mixed-with-cold-war action to get me back to my work. Thanks. I think.
    (Honestly, where else are you going to get this? Awesome.)

17. Jonny5 - Feb 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Thank you, I take pride in hating on the division rivals. Although I must admit, this guy makes it very easy.

18. Son of Shane Mack - Feb 24, 2010 at 3:31 AM

:) Hilarious!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3461)