Feb 23, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Andy Martino writes that Jayson Werth’s Phuture is uncertain:
The Phillies rightfielder arrived at spring training yesterday with
long hair and a thick beard, entering the final season of a two-year,
$10 million contract. With the Phillies saying they have limited
payroll flexibility beyond the approximately $140 million currently
committed, Werth might have priced himself out of Philadelphia.
“I think everybody knows the situation,” Werth, 30, said yesterday in his first public comments on possible free agency . . . Werth said that his agent had engaged in “preliminary” talks with the
Phillies on a contract extension, but that they had amounted to
Cliff Lee had “preliminary” talks with the Phillies too. He was shipped out of town, like, a week later. I don’t think that Werth will get the same treatment — he’s quite popular in Philly and it’s not like the Phillies can just go out and grab the a rightfield equivalent of Roy Halladay to take his place — but it’s going to be a little complicated.
My guess: Philly will look to lock him up with some sort of backloaded deal in which the real money kicks in after Raul Ibanez’s, Brad Lidge’s and maybe even Ryan Howard’s money comes off the books in 2012.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)