Feb 23, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Andy Martino writes that Jayson Werth’s Phuture is uncertain:
The Phillies rightfielder arrived at spring training yesterday with
long hair and a thick beard, entering the final season of a two-year,
$10 million contract. With the Phillies saying they have limited
payroll flexibility beyond the approximately $140 million currently
committed, Werth might have priced himself out of Philadelphia.
“I think everybody knows the situation,” Werth, 30, said yesterday in his first public comments on possible free agency . . . Werth said that his agent had engaged in “preliminary” talks with the
Phillies on a contract extension, but that they had amounted to
Cliff Lee had “preliminary” talks with the Phillies too. He was shipped out of town, like, a week later. I don’t think that Werth will get the same treatment — he’s quite popular in Philly and it’s not like the Phillies can just go out and grab the a rightfield equivalent of Roy Halladay to take his place — but it’s going to be a little complicated.
My guess: Philly will look to lock him up with some sort of backloaded deal in which the real money kicks in after Raul Ibanez’s, Brad Lidge’s and maybe even Ryan Howard’s money comes off the books in 2012.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)