Feb 23, 2010, 9:28 AM EST
Andy Martino writes that Jayson Werth’s Phuture is uncertain:
The Phillies rightfielder arrived at spring training yesterday with
long hair and a thick beard, entering the final season of a two-year,
$10 million contract. With the Phillies saying they have limited
payroll flexibility beyond the approximately $140 million currently
committed, Werth might have priced himself out of Philadelphia.
“I think everybody knows the situation,” Werth, 30, said yesterday in his first public comments on possible free agency . . . Werth said that his agent had engaged in “preliminary” talks with the
Phillies on a contract extension, but that they had amounted to
Cliff Lee had “preliminary” talks with the Phillies too. He was shipped out of town, like, a week later. I don’t think that Werth will get the same treatment — he’s quite popular in Philly and it’s not like the Phillies can just go out and grab the a rightfield equivalent of Roy Halladay to take his place — but it’s going to be a little complicated.
My guess: Philly will look to lock him up with some sort of backloaded deal in which the real money kicks in after Raul Ibanez’s, Brad Lidge’s and maybe even Ryan Howard’s money comes off the books in 2012.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)