Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
I’m sure everyone can relate to what Matt Holliday went through this morning. After all, who among us hasn’t called in sick for the very first day of a new job that pays $17 million per year.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes:
Matt Holliday will not join the club in its first day of spring training because he is sick, manager Tony La Russa said. The manager wasn’t sure if it was allergies or the flu. Others have said it’s most likely allergies. Holliday called the Cardinals trainers on Monday night to tell them he was ill. He is not expected at the ballpark today. La Russa did not seemed concerned that it would be an extended absence.
Back in college I remember classes where if you didn’t show up for the first day they dropped your name from the enrollment list and called in the next person on the waiting list. Presumably the Cardinals’ roster doesn’t abide by the same rules, or else they’d be looking at Allen Craig, starting left fielder. Here’s hoping Holliday makes it to class in time for the midterm.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)