Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
I’m sure everyone can relate to what Matt Holliday went through this morning. After all, who among us hasn’t called in sick for the very first day of a new job that pays $17 million per year.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes:
Matt Holliday will not join the club in its first day of spring training because he is sick, manager Tony La Russa said. The manager wasn’t sure if it was allergies or the flu. Others have said it’s most likely allergies. Holliday called the Cardinals trainers on Monday night to tell them he was ill. He is not expected at the ballpark today. La Russa did not seemed concerned that it would be an extended absence.
Back in college I remember classes where if you didn’t show up for the first day they dropped your name from the enrollment list and called in the next person on the waiting list. Presumably the Cardinals’ roster doesn’t abide by the same rules, or else they’d be looking at Allen Craig, starting left fielder. Here’s hoping Holliday makes it to class in time for the midterm.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)