Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
I’m sure everyone can relate to what Matt Holliday went through this morning. After all, who among us hasn’t called in sick for the very first day of a new job that pays $17 million per year.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes:
Matt Holliday will not join the club in its first day of spring training because he is sick, manager Tony La Russa said. The manager wasn’t sure if it was allergies or the flu. Others have said it’s most likely allergies. Holliday called the Cardinals trainers on Monday night to tell them he was ill. He is not expected at the ballpark today. La Russa did not seemed concerned that it would be an extended absence.
Back in college I remember classes where if you didn’t show up for the first day they dropped your name from the enrollment list and called in the next person on the waiting list. Presumably the Cardinals’ roster doesn’t abide by the same rules, or else they’d be looking at Allen Craig, starting left fielder. Here’s hoping Holliday makes it to class in time for the midterm.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 10
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)