Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
I’m sure everyone can relate to what Matt Holliday went through this morning. After all, who among us hasn’t called in sick for the very first day of a new job that pays $17 million per year.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes:
Matt Holliday will not join the club in its first day of spring training because he is sick, manager Tony La Russa said. The manager wasn’t sure if it was allergies or the flu. Others have said it’s most likely allergies. Holliday called the Cardinals trainers on Monday night to tell them he was ill. He is not expected at the ballpark today. La Russa did not seemed concerned that it would be an extended absence.
Back in college I remember classes where if you didn’t show up for the first day they dropped your name from the enrollment list and called in the next person on the waiting list. Presumably the Cardinals’ roster doesn’t abide by the same rules, or else they’d be looking at Allen Craig, starting left fielder. Here’s hoping Holliday makes it to class in time for the midterm.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32