Feb 23, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are looking to sign a second left-handed reliever to go alongside Pedro Feliciano and would be interested in Joe Beimel if he’s willing to accept a one-year deal for around $1 million.
Beimel is 33 years old, but has drawn surprisingly little interest as a free agent after posting ERAs of 2.96, 3.88, 2.02, and 3.58 in the past four seasons. He’s often pegged as a southpaw specialist, and he’s definitely very good at shutting down left-handed hitters, but Beimel is also capable of getting right-handers out at a decent clip.
Over the past three years lefties hit just .240 with a .281 on-base percentage and .348 slugging percentage against him, but Beimel also held righties to a .730 OPS during that time. If he’s willing to take $1 million and a middle-relief gig, Beimel would definitely be worth adding for the Mets and quite a few other teams.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal speculates that the Mets may turn their attention to fellow southpaw reliever Ron Mahay if they can’t work something out with Beimel.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)