Feb 23, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are looking to sign a second left-handed reliever to go alongside Pedro Feliciano and would be interested in Joe Beimel if he’s willing to accept a one-year deal for around $1 million.
Beimel is 33 years old, but has drawn surprisingly little interest as a free agent after posting ERAs of 2.96, 3.88, 2.02, and 3.58 in the past four seasons. He’s often pegged as a southpaw specialist, and he’s definitely very good at shutting down left-handed hitters, but Beimel is also capable of getting right-handers out at a decent clip.
Over the past three years lefties hit just .240 with a .281 on-base percentage and .348 slugging percentage against him, but Beimel also held righties to a .730 OPS during that time. If he’s willing to take $1 million and a middle-relief gig, Beimel would definitely be worth adding for the Mets and quite a few other teams.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal speculates that the Mets may turn their attention to fellow southpaw reliever Ron Mahay if they can’t work something out with Beimel.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)