Feb 23, 2010, 2:53 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are looking to sign a second left-handed reliever to go alongside Pedro Feliciano and would be interested in Joe Beimel if he’s willing to accept a one-year deal for around $1 million.
Beimel is 33 years old, but has drawn surprisingly little interest as a free agent after posting ERAs of 2.96, 3.88, 2.02, and 3.58 in the past four seasons. He’s often pegged as a southpaw specialist, and he’s definitely very good at shutting down left-handed hitters, but Beimel is also capable of getting right-handers out at a decent clip.
Over the past three years lefties hit just .240 with a .281 on-base percentage and .348 slugging percentage against him, but Beimel also held righties to a .730 OPS during that time. If he’s willing to take $1 million and a middle-relief gig, Beimel would definitely be worth adding for the Mets and quite a few other teams.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal speculates that the Mets may turn their attention to fellow southpaw reliever Ron Mahay if they can’t work something out with Beimel.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 2
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 26
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)