Feb 23, 2010, 2:53 PM EST
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are looking to sign a second left-handed reliever to go alongside Pedro Feliciano and would be interested in Joe Beimel if he’s willing to accept a one-year deal for around $1 million.
Beimel is 33 years old, but has drawn surprisingly little interest as a free agent after posting ERAs of 2.96, 3.88, 2.02, and 3.58 in the past four seasons. He’s often pegged as a southpaw specialist, and he’s definitely very good at shutting down left-handed hitters, but Beimel is also capable of getting right-handers out at a decent clip.
Over the past three years lefties hit just .240 with a .281 on-base percentage and .348 slugging percentage against him, but Beimel also held righties to a .730 OPS during that time. If he’s willing to take $1 million and a middle-relief gig, Beimel would definitely be worth adding for the Mets and quite a few other teams.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal speculates that the Mets may turn their attention to fellow southpaw reliever Ron Mahay if they can’t work something out with Beimel.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)