Mike Lowell is not a distraction

Feb 23, 2010, 4:40 PM EST

Mike Lowell 2.jpgMichael Silverman of the Boston Herald tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

For any doubters about the Mike Lowell situation being a distraction, I’ve got two words for you: Already is.

Then he links the story he (apparently) wrote about Lowell in camp today.  If you can find anything that constitutes a “distraction” in these quotes you’re a closer reader than I am:

“I think I’m pretty intelligent in the sense that there’s no real
playing time for me here, basically, barring a major injury, and I’m
not really in the business of hoping someone gets hurt just so I get
at-bats. For me, I feel like I’m more prepared and ready for a full
season than I was last year, so why shouldn’t I play more than I did
last year? Whether it’s here or somewhere else, I can’t control that.

“I have to separate two things. There’s the baseball aspect of it
and the real-life aspect of it. I’m very comfortable where I am in my
real life. I feel like I’m in a tremendously privileged situation. No
one needs to feel sorry for me in life. Is my baseball situation not
ideal? Yeah, it’s not ideal, and I don’t want to diminish the baseball
fact, but you never know what can happen.

“If I was on the trading block before, I can’t imagine that all of a
sudden I’m not now. I think my health is something obviously need to
show not only the Red Sox, but every other team. If that opens a door
to something else, I’ll go wherever I go or stay wherever I stay.”

Distraction? Seems to me like Mike Lowell has a pretty realistic view of things and that the only one making a big deal out of this is Mike Silverman.

Of course, the use of the word “distraction” should have tipped us all off anyway.  Whenever a baseball writer uses that term it rarely means that there’s a real controversy afoot. Rather, it almost always means “I’m going to keep beating this dead horse until I can elicit a juicy quote out of someone and then say ‘AH HA!!’ look at that big, big distraction!”

1. Joey B - Feb 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Writers hate it when the players give canned answers. I’m in the best shape of my life. The shoulder tendon hanging by a thread is fine. I welcome the competition. Detroit is really where I wanted to be the last 15 years. It’s all about the schools.
    But when someone gives an honest answer like, sure it bothers me, but I’m prepared for whatever comes my way, they try to cash in on it by hopefully created a controversy.
    But here, Silverman is beating a dead horse whose carcass has already been carted away. Lowell is too professional to create a controversy. RS fans, even those recognizing his limitations, still love the guy. I hope we keep him, but if we don’t, I hope he finds a starting gig elsewhere, and I’ll be glad to root for him.

2. themarksmith - Feb 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Hmm, I understand what you’re saying, but I can’t help but wonder if Silverman is right. He doesn’t say Lowell is causing a distraction. He merely states that there is a distraction, though the vagueness of that statement may be close to Nostradamic (is that a real word?) proportions.
    Everyone around the camp, evidently including Lowell himself, knows that Lowell isn’t really wanted or needed there. But how does one interact with Lowell? If you’ve been his teammate and friend, how does one encourage Lowell while also realizing Beltre is the better option? If you’re Francona, how do you keep him involved knowing he really isn’t part of the puzzle (though an injury could make things more interesting)? I imagine there is a great deal of tip-toeing going on in that clubhouse, and though “distraction” may not be the right word, I can imagine there being a great deal of awkwardness.

3. Joey B - Feb 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I just don’t see this differing in any material aspect from most other training camps. Every team has a vet that will be cut, or every team has a vet about to relegated to bench duty because of a prospect. Is Hughes trying to beat out Joba going to cause friction? Barajas will try to kick someone else off of the Mets. Buchholz wants to boot Wake to the BP, while 4-5 guys are hoping he retires. Maybe Rodney might want a piece of Fuentes action. Three guys in TO want the closer’s job, no matter they say.
    My guess is that virtually every RS player wants to see a healthy Lowell, but understand that Beltre is now our 3B.

4. RobRob - Feb 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Any time you see a sportswriter use the word “distraction”, they’re usually writing about themselves. As in, “Mike Lowell is a distraction to the Red Sox because my colleagues and I are going to keep asking everyone we can find about his situation.”

5. yankeh8r - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM

It’s a distraction because the media won’t let the situation die. If they keep bringing it up then yeah it will be. I’d love to see the sox keep him. Great if beltre goes down or needs rest or if Papi struggles as DH or we just need a pinch hitter. He’s good enough to start on many teams so that makes him an awesome off the bench player anywhere. Not ideal for him but great for the team as long as he doesn’t become a manny, uh i mean cancer in the locker room.

6. billybill - Feb 24, 2010 at 4:28 AM

Thanks Joey B.This guy forgot to finger Clay B. and Wake as being distractions too.Or maybe he’s s aving that for today when he can’t think again.

7. Moses Green - Feb 24, 2010 at 6:49 AM

No one is even close to right here, not even CC. It’s not a distraction, CC got that much right. Mike Lowell is a professional in every sense of the word. The reason he went this way with it, and the reason most Boston sportswriters will be piling on until he’s traded (or someone gets hurt) is ….
    Everyone loves Mike Lowell. Francona, his teammates, all the writers, the umps, the ballboys, everyone. Why? Because he’s an especially nice and professional guy. Takes his job very seriously without taking himself too seriously. The guy’s been in baseball forever and no one has anything bad to say about him.
    When Lowell is talented and healthy enough to start on a major league team and he appears to be treated shabbily – they’re all going to rally behind him. Because they like him, and for all they’ve done to bring winning baseball back to Beantown, no one really likes or really trusts Henry or Lucchino. Or Theo for that matter. Theo’s press conferences are a little “Tigeresque”; in the sense that they are given by a robot reading a teleprompter. Also Theo’s bizarre “I’m walking away and I’m doing it in a gorilla suit” left everyone wondering whether his General Managership will end in men with nets, straitjackets and copious amounts of thorazine loaded into dart guns.

8. yankeh8r - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:55 AM

no one is even close to right here? guess u didn’t read my post moses. try again.

9. willmose - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:36 AM

10. Joey B - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:55 AM

“Perhaps if the Boston had kept the “distraction” named Manny, they would have another championship or two.”
    So, Bay hit 36 HRs with 119 RBIs, while Manny hit 19 HRs with 63 RBIs, yet we’d have done better with less production. Interesting concept.

11. d - Feb 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

not to mention that 50 games Manny missed – the sox wouldn’t have even made the playoffs! time to let go of Manny..
    distractions are media creations because they’re the ones bugging everyone about it. If they just reported what they saw, and asked performance based questions, they wouldn’t have to invent the controversy.

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Funny how Manny basically said the same sheet and he has to have a follow up press conference to clear up the fact he is playing out the last year of a contract.Oh boy………

13. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

what did you buy him for Valentines day……….. geez et a room.

14. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

what did you buy him for Valentines day……….. geez et a room.

15. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM

16. Joey B - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM

“How many Tiffany Trophies did Bay deliver, Lowell delivered only one.Manny delivered, plain and simple.”
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Manny fan, disappointed in him, but still a fan, but Manny only delivred one trophy, and went along for a ride in the second trophy, and he had 8 years here. 7 other guys on the RS have rings from 2004 & 2007. To say that Bay didn’t deliver a WSC in his one full year here is a bit disingenious.

17. yankeh8r - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Manny delivered when he wanted to. He’s tremendously talented but a poor sportsman and terrible team player. If he had have the heart of Pedroia he would be freaking unstoppable. As it is manny is only interested in being manny. Faking injuries, not running out ground balls and posing at the plate for possible homers that end up with him scrambling just to get on base. Bay did awesome in replacing manny but even he didn’t deserve the ridiculous contract he was asking for. Only the idiot mets would buy into that sell.

18. willmose - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM

19. yankeh8r - Feb 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

All of us Boston fans know how hard Manny fought to set himself on fire and get traded. Manny was not doing shit for Boston when he was traded – he claimed he was hurt but the minute he steps in L.A. he has the miraculous healing and goes on a tear with lightning numbers. He’s a cancer. Great player when he wants to be but still a cancer. I loved it when he produced but hell if I miss all of the drama and cry-baby-itis!

20. Joey B - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:31 AM

“Look at Ortiz’s numbers when Manny was hitting behind him and when Bay was. They are not in the same universe. And what about the last half of 2008. You think maybe the Sox would have repeated if Manny had put up the numbers for Sox instead of the Dodgers. Gee whiz, you Boston fans forget about 2008. Oh well, JD Drew to all of you.”
    1-I’m not giving much credence to the Manny backing Papi thing. In 2006, when Manny missed most of September, Papi had an OPS of 1.143. In 2007, when Manny missed September (again), Papi had an OPS of 1.341.
    2-‘If Manny put up his LA numbers’-So you’re basically accusing Manny of quitting on the RS by implying that he could’ve given them his LA numbers, but didn’t want to.
    3-In 2008, we averaged 4.94 RPG from Apr-July. For the period of Aug-Sep, we averaged 5.79 RPG.
    4-As of 7/30/08, we were playing .560 ball. After the Manny trade, we played .642. See, I remember 2008 very well, it is you that has forgotten. Trading Manny is the only reason why we even made the POs.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4486)
  2. M. Kemp (3610)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2545)
  5. J. Kang (2432)
  1. J. Upton (2405)
  2. C. Headley (2143)
  3. A. Rios (2142)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1919)
  5. J. Peavy (1815)