Feb 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Derek Holland injured his right knee during agility drills over the weekend, but an MRI exam taken yesterday revealed only a mild sprain. He’s slated to begin throwing again later this week and will merely wear a brace on the knee for a while.
Or as assistant general manager Thad Levine put it: “He can do more than sit on a table in the trainer’s room and do crossword puzzles.”
Holland struggled as a 22-year-old rookie last season, going 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA in 138.1 innings split between the bullpen and rotation, but has significant long-term upside and is competing for the fifth-starter gig this spring.
Rotoworld’s Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projects him to post a 4.21 ERA as a sophomore.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 25
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 41
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)