Feb 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Derek Holland injured his right knee during agility drills over the weekend, but an MRI exam taken yesterday revealed only a mild sprain. He’s slated to begin throwing again later this week and will merely wear a brace on the knee for a while.
Or as assistant general manager Thad Levine put it: “He can do more than sit on a table in the trainer’s room and do crossword puzzles.”
Holland struggled as a 22-year-old rookie last season, going 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA in 138.1 innings split between the bullpen and rotation, but has significant long-term upside and is competing for the fifth-starter gig this spring.
Rotoworld’s Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projects him to post a 4.21 ERA as a sophomore.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)