Feb 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Derek Holland injured his right knee during agility drills over the weekend, but an MRI exam taken yesterday revealed only a mild sprain. He’s slated to begin throwing again later this week and will merely wear a brace on the knee for a while.
Or as assistant general manager Thad Levine put it: “He can do more than sit on a table in the trainer’s room and do crossword puzzles.”
Holland struggled as a 22-year-old rookie last season, going 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA in 138.1 innings split between the bullpen and rotation, but has significant long-term upside and is competing for the fifth-starter gig this spring.
Rotoworld’s Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projects him to post a 4.21 ERA as a sophomore.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)