Feb 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Derek Holland injured his right knee during agility drills over the weekend, but an MRI exam taken yesterday revealed only a mild sprain. He’s slated to begin throwing again later this week and will merely wear a brace on the knee for a while.
Or as assistant general manager Thad Levine put it: “He can do more than sit on a table in the trainer’s room and do crossword puzzles.”
Holland struggled as a 22-year-old rookie last season, going 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA in 138.1 innings split between the bullpen and rotation, but has significant long-term upside and is competing for the fifth-starter gig this spring.
Rotoworld’s Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projects him to post a 4.21 ERA as a sophomore.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (152)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)