My daughter pretty much nails the baseball card industry

Feb 23, 2010, 10:38 AM EDT

Topps 206.jpgI’ve still got tens of thousands of baseball cards in my basement from back in the day, but I haven’t bought a new one in nearly 20 years. Just sort of lost interest, even if I still love my old ones. My mom showed up at my house today, however, with a box of those new Topps 206 cards, figuring that I might like them.  And I do like them, if for no other reason than it makes me happy that my mom was thinking about me when she was at the store. Moms are cool.

So I’m opening up the packages and I’m looking at them this morning when my six year-old daughter comes into the room.  She picks one up — a Nick Markakis “relic” card with a scrap of one of his game-worn jerseys in it.

“Why is this one different than the others,” she says.

“Well, it has a little piece of his uniform in it,” I said.

“Why?” Anna says.

“Because some people like to collect stuff like that.”

“That’s pretty stupid,” says Anna, “People should just be happy with their own shirts.”

And thus I am reminded why I haven’t bought any baseball cards in nearly 20 years.

1. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Any of Eric Blau’s little booklets down there? I think you’re a little old still to fear the fuzzy monster with the three big eyes under the staircase, but if not, turn on the light and go down and take a look.
    And I bet you that some of that gum is still chewable!
    My daughter bought me a complete set of Mars Attacks cards for my 58th birthday. Pretty neat. No gum. But it was my daughter, so….

2. Darrell - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM

It took me $45 of buying Upper Deck Super Mega Baseball Superstar Shine packs in 2008 to finally get one with a piece of Posada’s jock strap. I don’t care what people say…I say I can smell the damn thing. To have a nose window into history is beyond awesome. Beckett lists it at $24, but whatever.

3. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM

keep it clean dude ……… :)

4. smsetnor - Feb 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Craig, if you’ve got 30$, I’ll show you the Yastrzemski card. Cause if you ain’t got it, I ain’t standing up. I mean, I have a master’s degree in folklore…

5. eh? - Feb 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM

cards were more relevent when i was a kid because the players’ career and seasonal stats were on the flipside. i think there might have been one book that you could buy that compiled all that info. now that info is widespread. cards had alot of other little things as a kid that i found interesting, like topps all-rookie trophies/all-star banners or little fun odd facts about a player.
    also, in the pre-espn days, there was one game of the week televised, and usually it wasn’t a team i was interested in watching. the baseball card put an image to the players talked about on the radio or read about in the newspaper/boxscores.

6. Michael Osacky - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Anna will grow up to be a very smart girl.
    She is a keeper.
    blog.baseballintheattic.com

7. michael osacky - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM

You have a very smart daughter. There are so few of us.
    blog.baseballintheattic.com

8. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM

They also made great noise in your bicycle spokes. If I’m not mistaken, Professor Peter Schickele, head of the Department of Music at the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople, actually built an orchestral instrument made of an inverted bicycle frame and baseball cards and played it at any number of concerts celebrating P.D.Q. Bach, who, being a jazz snob, is the only classical composer I deign to listen to.

9. CommonNow - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Eh? hit it right on the head – the cards used to have some utility to them. They told you who the player was and showed their playing ability over their career. Now they are just marketing BS.
    Anyone collecting cards (from one or all of the seemingly 15 different companies) in 2010 is an IDIOT. You are the reason late night infomercials were created. Go cry yourself to sleep on your Craftmatic adjustable bed and wipe your adult tears with your Shamwow you dopes!!!!

10. Jack Meoffer - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I have close to 15,000 (yes, I actually counted them in my teens) cards in my closet. I thought one day as a teen, 30 years from now (now present day) I would be a gazillionaire when I would finally sell them. Well, here we are today and you go on EBAY and see everyone else trying to sell them at 1 to 5 cents each. I do have some great cards when I last checked (20 years or so ago). But Topps seemed to have a deal with “Rick Baldwin” because he happened to be in every other pack of cards. Funny how this story came up today as I was thinking of finally just selling them once and for all. Sell the good ones at a price and sell the rest at the 1 to 5 cents. I need the room already and my interest in baseball is not what it was.

11. Adelaida Riggles - Feb 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. Really was not expecting that when I started off studying. Your concepts were easy to understand that I wondered why I never looked at it before. Glad to know that there’s an individual out there that definitely understands what he’s discussing. Great job

12. Ebay UnderCover - Mar 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I didn’t think there were any sites with content this good. There sure is a lot of trash out there online. I’ll definitely be back to check out future posts…Thanks

13. Bernie Rivenburg - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hello – I must say, I’m impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and information was very easy to access. I found what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Would appreciate it if you add forums or something, it would be a perfect way for your clients to interact. Great job

14. KathyGENTRY25 - May 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM

The mortgage loans seem to be useful for guys, which want to start their organization. In fact, that is comfortable to receive a short term loan.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act