Feb 23, 2010, 10:38 AM EDT
I’ve still got tens of thousands of baseball cards in my basement from back in the day, but I haven’t bought a new one in nearly 20 years. Just sort of lost interest, even if I still love my old ones. My mom showed up at my house today, however, with a box of those new Topps 206 cards, figuring that I might like them. And I do like them, if for no other reason than it makes me happy that my mom was thinking about me when she was at the store. Moms are cool.
So I’m opening up the packages and I’m looking at them this morning when my six year-old daughter comes into the room. She picks one up — a Nick Markakis “relic” card with a scrap of one of his game-worn jerseys in it.
“Why is this one different than the others,” she says.
“Well, it has a little piece of his uniform in it,” I said.
“Why?” Anna says.
“Because some people like to collect stuff like that.”
“That’s pretty stupid,” says Anna, “People should just be happy with their own shirts.”
And thus I am reminded why I haven’t bought any baseball cards in nearly 20 years.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)