Feb 24, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
There had been a lot of noise about Curtis Granderson moving to left field now that he’s with the Yankees, but yesterday on XM’s Home Plate show, Brian Cashman said “Granderson is out centerfielder.” Oh, he hedged it a bit and noted that Brett Gardner would be an outstanding centerfielder, but the Granderson is going to be the man.
Which probably makes sense even if Gardner is a better defender. Why? Because it’s a pretty good bet that Gardner is going to be on some sort of platoon or rotation with Randy Winn and/or Marcus Thames, and it makes way more sense to swap all of them out in left than it would for Granderson to have to bop back and forth depending on which of those three is in the lineup on a given day.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17