Feb 24, 2010, 7:39 PM EST
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks have real interest in signing catcher Miguel Montero to a multi-year contract extension and may try to get something done sooner than later.
“He’s certainly a guy that we have a lot of faith in for the future,”
managing partner Ken Kendrick said Wednesday. “So, yeah, I think there’s potential opportunity to sign
him for more than just a single year.”
Montero, 26, made a major splash in 2009 with a .294/.355/.478 batting line, 16 homers and 59 RBI in just 425 at-bats. He snatched Arizona’s starting catching gig from Chris Snyder and heads into the 2010 season squarely atop the depth chart. Montero avoided arbitration this winter by agreeing to a one-year, $2 million contract and that number will only go up if he matches or improves upon his ’09 numbers this season. It makes sense, then, to lock him into a contract that covers his remaining years of arbitration eligibility and perhaps a season or two of free agency.
As Craig pointed out last week, the Diamondbacks have also begun long-term discussions with third baseman Mark Reynolds and
outfielder Justin Upton.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)