Feb 24, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Baseball Prospectus’ Russell Carleton wrote a column last week called “Why All Third Base Coaches Should be Fired.” The reason: as a group they’re way, way too timid in sending runners home on fly outs. If that’s not bad enough, Jim Leyland now has another reason to fire his third base coach:
While defeating the coaching twosome of Lloyd McClendon and Rick
Knapp on the golf course Monday, and going up 2-0 for the spring, Jim
Leyland and Gene Lamont had a mishap. One Leyland still felt Tuesday. Lamont drove the cart over his foot — and broke Leyland’s right little toe.
Between that and Jason Heyward busting the assistant GM’s sun roof, yesterday was a good one for career-limiting behavior. Maybe someone will slug a guy today.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12