Feb 24, 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
Baseball Prospectus’ Russell Carleton wrote a column last week called “Why All Third Base Coaches Should be Fired.” The reason: as a group they’re way, way too timid in sending runners home on fly outs. If that’s not bad enough, Jim Leyland now has another reason to fire his third base coach:
While defeating the coaching twosome of Lloyd McClendon and Rick
Knapp on the golf course Monday, and going up 2-0 for the spring, Jim
Leyland and Gene Lamont had a mishap. One Leyland still felt Tuesday. Lamont drove the cart over his foot — and broke Leyland’s right little toe.
Between that and Jason Heyward busting the assistant GM’s sun roof, yesterday was a good one for career-limiting behavior. Maybe someone will slug a guy today.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)