Feb 24, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is speaking to reporters about his life, contract status, the universe and everything. I’m sure there will be a full transcript later, but the quote everyone is tweeting right now is “I’ve never been a free agent and I’ve never wanted to be a free agent.”
This is why Jeter is a media god. He says stuff that kinda sounds like a grand pronouncement — the headlines later will likely be “Jeter wants to be a Yankee forever!!” — but when you examine the statement it really says nothing at all.
If Jeter isn’t a governor or a senator or something one day I’ll be totally shocked.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 100
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (152)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)