Feb 24, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is speaking to reporters about his life, contract status, the universe and everything. I’m sure there will be a full transcript later, but the quote everyone is tweeting right now is “I’ve never been a free agent and I’ve never wanted to be a free agent.”
This is why Jeter is a media god. He says stuff that kinda sounds like a grand pronouncement — the headlines later will likely be “Jeter wants to be a Yankee forever!!” — but when you examine the statement it really says nothing at all.
If Jeter isn’t a governor or a senator or something one day I’ll be totally shocked.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)