Feb 24, 2010, 8:40 AM EST
Buster Olney has them. In addition to his $8 million:
- He gets $500,000 for winning the MVP Award, $200,000 for finishing second through fifth, and $100,000 for finishing sixth through tenth;
- He gets $100,000
for being voted in as an All-Star, $50,000 for being selected as a reserve;
- $100,000 for winning the Gold Glove and another $100,000 for the Silver Slugger;
- $150,000 for winning the ALCS MVP; $200,000 for being the World Series MVP; and
- He gets a suite on the road.
If the Tigers win the AL Central and Damon doesn’t fall off a cliff I could totally see him getting some MVP votes due to writers thinking he’s a difference maker or a leader or something. All it takes to place 10th is roughly 7-10 of the 28 voters to think you’re one of the top 10 candidates.
The All-Star incentives are less likely to happen. Damon was voted 7th among AL outfielders last season, and that’s with a pretty darn good first half on the Yankees. As for getting selected as a reserve, his former manager Joe Girardi is doing the selecting for whatever that’s worth.
The postseason MVP awards are utterly unpredictable. The suite on road trips is an increasingly popular contract perk among star players. I often wonder what the guys who don’t get suites think of that.
How about that Gold Glove incentive? If I’m the Tigers I’m not going to worry about setting money aside for that one. Damon is more likely to win Best Actress, a MacArthur Genius Grant or the Nobel Prize for literature before he snags a fielding award.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)