Feb 24, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
Back in 1982 Pascual Perez was late for a game with the Braves when he kept circling the city on I-285, unable to find the stadium. That’s still the best reason I’ve ever heard for being late, but Twins’ pitcher Jose Mijares is probably in second place:
Lefthander Jose Mijares reported to camp on Tuesday
after finally boarding a flight from Caracas, Venezuela to the United
Mijares said he tried to board a flight on Sunday
but got caught up in a security check while the plane loaded and
departed. According to Mijares, police were suspicious about some hair
gel in his luggage.
Mijares was eventually allowed to take a later flight, but not until he was subjected to enhanced interrogation and admitted to the possession of vast quantities of weapons-grade Dippity-Do.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)