Feb 24, 2010, 10:18 AM EDT
The Plain Dealer has a story this morning about Indians’ closer Kerry Wood and the flashing red neon “trade bait” sign floating over his head. He makes $10.5 million this year on a team that doesn’t look to contend and which has no compunction about dumping salary. If he finishes 55 games, an $11 million option for next year vests. The odds of that coming to pass are akin to Damon’s Gold Glove contract incentive paying off.
In the meantime, he’s the Indians’ closer, and they’re going to try to get as much out of him as possible:
Acta says he’ll use Wood in more four-out save situations. He did it twice last year, saving one game and blowing another. “With Kerry’s experience as a starter, we feel he can handle that,” said Acta.
Said Wood, “We talked about that Monday. Manny said he’s not opposed to
a four or five-out save. Obviously, it won’t happen a lot, but I’m not
opposed to that.”
How sad is it that we’ve reached a point where a closer getting four or five outs is such an oddity that it’s worth mentioning.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)