Lowell and the Red Sox may be stuck with each other

Feb 24, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Alex Speier takes a look at the Mike Lowell situation and wonders if the notion that the Sox are going to trade him is all wet. After running through just about every potential trade partner and finding the fit less-than-ideal, he notes:

Clearly, the potential fits are few, particularly given the Sox’ desire
that another team pay for a meaningful portion of Lowell’s contract.
Most teams addressed their positional needs during the winter. And for
now, the team has shown little inclination to simply dump Lowell, since
unlike Julio Lugo (who was unceremoniously designated for assignment last summer), he still has potential value to the Sox.

I’m less pessimistic that the Sox can find a willing partner than is Speier — Texas still seems like a potential fit to me, and it’s not like Anaheim has ever shown tons of patience with Brandon Wood — but he’s right in saying that treating Lowell like some dead man walking in Sox camp is probably the wrong move at present.

1. Ross - Feb 24, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Does Mike Lowell’s mustache have a say in this, or does it have a no-trade clause in a separate contract? Every time I see this picture of him I feel the need to fill in the rest of his lip with magic marker.

2. BC - Feb 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

If Ortiz gets off to a start like last year, they’re going to need Lowell to DH.

3. Old Gator - Feb 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I repeat my prediction: Mike Lowell will wind up coaching the baseball program at FIU and building it into a real power. It’s been written in the Akashic Records, and now that he’s shaken off the last of his steroid Akishra, he’s good to go.

4. pat patriot - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I wish they would keep him to be the dh when papi falls on his face again.

5. riscifiguy - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I agree he is papi insurance.

6. whoismaximus - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM

No roids, no papi

7. Andrew Pelt - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Love the blog, i found you via yahoo and will be bookmarking you right now.
    oh you can usally catch me over at bontrade

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4901)