REPORT: Japanese media covering the Hideki Matsui beat with a passion

Feb 24, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT

You’re not going to believe this, but Hideki Matsui is apparently being followed by a throng of Japanese reporters in Angels’ camp.  Here’s an AP photo from Tempe:

Matsui reporters.jpgI have a rare talent: I can read the lips of people speaking another language from still pictures when their backs are turned to me.  The guy with the red sunglasses in the lower right-hand corner is asking Matsui what he thought of Matsui’s World Series performance and whether he’d like to have a player like Hideki Matsui in his lineup.

1. Old Gator - Feb 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Oh let me guess: you learned to read lips by watching old Godzilla movies with the sound turned off, right? You should have recorded your enunciations – might’ve made a sequel soundtrack to What’s Up Tiger Lily out of them.
    It’s really weird to see the big G in that horrible Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Culver City, Hollywood, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Studio City and Rseda Angels of Anaheim, Fullerton, Westminster, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana, Midway City, Newport Beach, Yorba Linda, Orange, Placentia and Costa Mesa. He’s going to have to double up on the flys and chest presses to make room on his uniform for any more municipalities if the Angels don’t want to piss off anyone else by leaving them out. Thank Buddha that, with those knees of his, they aren’t planning to run any names up and down his trouser legs – yet.

2. Beanster - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Matsui is listed at 6’2″ so I’m guessing that contingent isn’t dominating any basketball leagues, media or otherwise.

3. jwb - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Short is more comfortable for long flights. Ballplayers can afford first class tix.

4. Just a thought - Feb 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Craig –
    Just a thought, do you think the Yankees or any other team has considered bringing in a cricket player?
    This is just a thought after seeing Sachin Tendulkar score 200 runs and break a record. (mms://ipl.redirectme.net/Sachin200notout718)
    Do the teams know the amount of revenue and the viewers? Well over a billion people would gather to watch this one player…..

5. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Well, since my late father in law (for the current wife) was a trustee at Lords – which is sorta like the late Borg Mothership of Cricket – and since my best man was a Cricket fiend who made me read the entirety of Beyond a Boundary and forced me to sit through interminable test matches and offered to find me a goat to sacrifice to his bust of Viv Richards once (not to mention interminable Chelsea-Fulham Backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball matches) I feel that I am uniquely qualified to pass judgment on this proposal.
    I don’t believe a cricket player would survive as a batter in MLB (about the same way that I don’t believe that Adam Dunn or Mike Jacobs would be very effective as fielders in Cricket, nyuknyuknyuk – I mean, they can’t catch anything even with gloves). He’d keep thinking he had an extra couple of inches of wood to work with (not that we all don’t – in our dreams and spam, anyway).
    Much better idea: let a team of MLB allstars play a team of Cricket allstars for a trophy which is half cup, half unrecognizable mass of antennae, and called the C.L.R.Doubleday Objectd’art. Assuming that the MLB allstars will play like the NBA allstars at the Olympics, it should be a rout – not unlike the Rugby game between the students and headmasters in Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life.

6. Jonny5 - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM

“sport science” explains why this is very well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMhT_wgBwE
    .. Basically cricket is way easier.

7. YANKEES1996 - Feb 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Good player, great guy, class act all the way around! You will be missed in the Bronx GODZILLA!

8. YX - Feb 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM

That and his 3000 video tapes?

9. Fuzzball the Magnificent - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I guess I’m older than Old Gator (does that make me Older Gator?) but I remember Andre Rodgers playing shortstop for the Cubs in the 60s. Rodgers, a cricketer from the Bahamas, put in 11 years in the majors.

10. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Heh heh, no, but in Everglades parlance it would make you a Bull Gator (Bwoooorrrrrrnnnngggggg, SLAP!).
    Checked our boy Rodgers out. Batted .249 with no great OBP but was a good fielding shortstop – upper .900s in FP for his career at SS. He was signed at 20 by the Cubs in 1954 (which, and you gotta love the synchronicity of this, was the same year that Toho Pictures originally released Godzilla). It means, in other words, that he was a cricketer as a kid – since one assumes he’d been playing baseball too, long and well enough to impress the Cubs – unless they were already desperate enough to throw off Die Vloek van der Geitbok that they signed anyone who looked good at anything remotely resembling baseball in hopes of polishing his rough edges.
    No doubt if he’d gone to the plate with his cricket bat, he could have looped that weekly quail so dear to Crash Davis and would up playing in the Borg Mothership after all.

1. M. Bumgarner (3973)