Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 PM EST
Branyan finally inked his deal with the Indians today, and Manny Acta anointed him the starting first baseman:
Russell Branyan passed his physical today and officially became the
Indians starting first baseman. That’s right he’ll be starting at first
“He’s going to get the majority of playing time,” said manager Manny Acta. “We didn’t sign him to be a backup guy.
I figured that Branyan would have been more of a super-ute, spelling LaPorta early as he comes back from his injury, covering some left, maybe covering some third, but I guess not. This should shift Matt LaPorta to leftfield and Michael Brantley to Columbus.
Which, while probably not what he had hoped for, he should like all the same. Columbus is way less depressing a city than Cleveland is.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (91)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)