Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Branyan finally inked his deal with the Indians today, and Manny Acta anointed him the starting first baseman:
Russell Branyan passed his physical today and officially became the
Indians starting first baseman. That’s right he’ll be starting at first
“He’s going to get the majority of playing time,” said manager Manny Acta. “We didn’t sign him to be a backup guy.
I figured that Branyan would have been more of a super-ute, spelling LaPorta early as he comes back from his injury, covering some left, maybe covering some third, but I guess not. This should shift Matt LaPorta to leftfield and Michael Brantley to Columbus.
Which, while probably not what he had hoped for, he should like all the same. Columbus is way less depressing a city than Cleveland is.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 14
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 63
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)