Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Branyan finally inked his deal with the Indians today, and Manny Acta anointed him the starting first baseman:
Russell Branyan passed his physical today and officially became the
Indians starting first baseman. That’s right he’ll be starting at first
“He’s going to get the majority of playing time,” said manager Manny Acta. “We didn’t sign him to be a backup guy.
I figured that Branyan would have been more of a super-ute, spelling LaPorta early as he comes back from his injury, covering some left, maybe covering some third, but I guess not. This should shift Matt LaPorta to leftfield and Michael Brantley to Columbus.
Which, while probably not what he had hoped for, he should like all the same. Columbus is way less depressing a city than Cleveland is.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 0
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 14
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (95)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)