The Dodgers' overzealous media relations department strikes again

Feb 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

You’ll recall that last month I passed on a rumor I heard that Frank McCourt planned to sell the Dodgers once the divorce stuff is all settled.  Upon posting it, the Dodgers Thought Police called me, demanding a retraction and calling me irresponsible.

Which was fine. I figured I had simply hit a nerve — the divorce is obviously a sensitive subject — but apparently the Dodgers’ media people just have thin-skin.  As evidence I give you two tweets from the L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez. First:

The Dodgers have kicked reporters out of their main building and are forcing them to write in the stadium pressbox . . .

Then:

Dodgers PR questioned my use of the term “kicked out” in a previous tweet. I want to clarify: We were “relocated”

Orwell once called unclear prose a “contagion” designed to “make lies sound truthful, murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” Perhaps the Dodgers’ policing of the way in which people characterize their actions in random tweets doesn’t raise such Orwellian concerns, but they nonetheless need to lighten the hell up.

1. Dan in Katonah - Feb 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Hulka, … oh never mind.

2. Front Office - Feb 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Instead of “lighten the hell up,” could you please change that to “keep the train full speed ahead! Think Blue in 2010!” ?
    Do not not change this.

3. Karlean - Feb 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Yes I think you should change this, 2.
    PS. WKWUL!

4. Preston - Feb 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

This is too bad. The Dodgers were actually pretty progressive in some of their PR stuff last year, giving some blogs a press pass on a rotating basis. But we should at least look on the bright side – if anyone should be censored Big Brother-style, it’s Bill Plaschke.

5. CharlieH - Feb 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I AGREE , him and possibly a few others. I believe Orwell was talking about sports reporters.

6. Jesus - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM

As George Carlin said.
    In the first world war that condition was called shell shock. Simple, honest, direct language. Two syllables. Shell shock. Almost sounds like the guns themselves. And the second world war came along and the very same combat condition was called battle fatigue. Then we had the war in Korea in 1958…the very same combat condition was called operational exhaustion. Then of course came the war in Vietnam…very same condition was called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
    Toilet paper became bathroom tissue.
    Sneakers became running shoes.
    False teeth became dental appliances.
    Medicine became medication.
    Information became directory assistance.
    The dump became the land fill.
    Car crashes became automobile accidents.
    Partly cloudy became partly sunny.
    Motels became motor lodges.
    House trailers became mobile homes.
    Used cars became previously owned transportation.
    Room service became guest room dining.
    Constipation became occasional irregularity.

7. Josh Prevo - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Hey, I found your blog in a new directory of blogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, anyway cool blog, I bookmarked you. :)

8. bathroom fan - Mar 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM

A restaurant prepares and serves food, drink and dessert to customers. Meals are generally served and eaten on premises, but many restaurants also offer take-out and food delivery services. Restaurants vary greatly in appearance and offerings, including a wide variety of cuisines and service models.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3863)