Feb 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
You’ll recall that last month I passed on a rumor I heard that Frank McCourt planned to sell the Dodgers once the divorce stuff is all settled. Upon posting it, the Dodgers Thought Police called me, demanding a retraction and calling me irresponsible.
Which was fine. I figured I had simply hit a nerve — the divorce is obviously a sensitive subject — but apparently the Dodgers’ media people just have thin-skin. As evidence I give you two tweets from the L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez. First:
The Dodgers have kicked reporters out of their main building and are forcing them to write in the stadium pressbox . . .
Dodgers PR questioned my use of the term “kicked out” in a previous tweet. I want to clarify: We were “relocated”
Orwell once called unclear prose a “contagion” designed to “make lies sound truthful, murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” Perhaps the Dodgers’ policing of the way in which people characterize their actions in random tweets doesn’t raise such Orwellian concerns, but they nonetheless need to lighten the hell up.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)