Feb 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
You’ll recall that last month I passed on a rumor I heard that Frank McCourt planned to sell the Dodgers once the divorce stuff is all settled. Upon posting it, the Dodgers Thought Police called me, demanding a retraction and calling me irresponsible.
Which was fine. I figured I had simply hit a nerve — the divorce is obviously a sensitive subject — but apparently the Dodgers’ media people just have thin-skin. As evidence I give you two tweets from the L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez. First:
The Dodgers have kicked reporters out of their main building and are forcing them to write in the stadium pressbox . . .
Dodgers PR questioned my use of the term “kicked out” in a previous tweet. I want to clarify: We were “relocated”
Orwell once called unclear prose a “contagion” designed to “make lies sound truthful, murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” Perhaps the Dodgers’ policing of the way in which people characterize their actions in random tweets doesn’t raise such Orwellian concerns, but they nonetheless need to lighten the hell up.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)