Feb 24, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ladson reports that the Nats have signed Livan Hernandez to a minor league deal.
10:00 A.M.: After a full winter of saying that they were looking for a “Livan Hernandez-type” pitcher, but steadfastly refusing to consider Livan Hernandez for the job, the Nats have apparently decided that they just can’t quit Livan, with Bill Ladson reporting that the team is in “serious talks” with the mediocre iron-man.
All of this reminds of the time that Ted Turner fired Bobby Cox as Braves’ manager in 1981and at the press conference the same day asked who was on his short list for a replacement. Turner said “it would be Bobby Cox if I hadn’t just fired him. We
need someone like him around here.”
You can look that up, by the way. It’s part of Georgia law.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)