Feb 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Today’s Buster Olney column is actually pretty good as it relates to Jason Heyward’s expectations and the media and all of that, but I can’t help but think his opening paragraphs were specifically intended to give Braves fans a heart attack:
Jason Heyward was born in Georgia, was a first-round draft pick of the Atlanta Braves,
was seen as a hometown-kid-makes-good star since high school, has been
given high marks for his makeup, and is on the verge of breaking into
the majors amid outsized expectations.
Jeff Francoeur knows something about all that. He was born in Georgia. He was a first
round pick of the Braves. He was seen as a
hometown-kid-makes-good-star, was given high marks for his makeup, and
he broke into the majors amid outsized expectations.
I like to slam Francoeur whenever I can because he made me cry big tears when he was in a Braves uniform, but I have to be fair here and note that he gives some very good advice to Heyward in the column about how to handle it all. For as big as city as Atlanta is, it’s a pretty provincial place when it comes to its athletes, so if Heyward has even a fraction of the start Francoeur had when he broke into the league, you can bet people will go kinda crazy.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)