Yet another Kelvim Escobar update

Feb 24, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

Kelvim Escobar says he’s doing fine. Kevin Kernan writes the following:

Despite the hysteria of last week, he is right on time in his rehab,
according to the Mets and, more importantly, according to his
representatives. The plan from the beginning was not to rush Escobar . . .  Escobar insists he will be ready by the start of the season, but the
Mets are not counting on that and are taking it slow with his rehabbing
shoulder. That is why there is so much emphasis now on trying to find
an eighth-inning pitcher.

I can’t seem to find a story from back when he signed in December, but I’m pretty sure that the Mets did not say he was doubtful for Opening Day back then, which makes their claim that he’s “right on time” on his rehab a little hard to swallow.  Something has obviously happened with him.

I’m perfectly willing to admit that I was wrong about Escobar last week, but as I said at the time, I don’t think the Mets get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to shooting straight with respect to injuries these days.  I’ll believe that he’s not injured when he actually pitches.

1. AlexO - Feb 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I’ve been waiting all day for you to post something about the KC fan suing the Royals for being hit in the face by a weiner. The headlines write themselves. Unless that’s your reason…

2. Augie Dawgie - Feb 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM

He’ll be ready by the All Star break.

3. Old Gator - Feb 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM

We can rebuild him. We can make him better than he was….

4. Old Gator - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Post the link. I’ll take it from there. Expect transgression, though.

5. jwb - Feb 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Here ya go:
    Have fun, fellow Ciral’s House of Tiki Alumnus.

6. Gohare - Feb 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM

Maybe Craig isn’t posting on it as he knows Posnanski has already covered it. There’s really no improving on this:
    It’s towards the end.