Feb 24, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Kelvim Escobar says he’s doing fine. Kevin Kernan writes the following:
Despite the hysteria of last week, he is right on time in his rehab,
according to the Mets and, more importantly, according to his
representatives. The plan from the beginning was not to rush Escobar . . . Escobar insists he will be ready by the start of the season, but the
Mets are not counting on that and are taking it slow with his rehabbing
shoulder. That is why there is so much emphasis now on trying to find
an eighth-inning pitcher.
I can’t seem to find a story from back when he signed in December, but I’m pretty sure that the Mets did not say he was doubtful for Opening Day back then, which makes their claim that he’s “right on time” on his rehab a little hard to swallow. Something has obviously happened with him.
I’m perfectly willing to admit that I was wrong about Escobar last week, but as I said at the time, I don’t think the Mets get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to shooting straight with respect to injuries these days. I’ll believe that he’s not injured when he actually pitches.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)