Feb 25, 2010, 6:35 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez sat for a press conference today. He didn’t say anything too terribly interesting. Winning the World Series wasn’t getting a monkey off his back, “it was a humongous gorilla that came off my back.” He’s happy. He wants to win more. He knows he’s come a long way since last winter. Pretty conventional stuff.
The MLB.com article talking about the press conference had an interesting passage, however:
Rodriguez is about to embark upon a most critical segment of his career. These next few seasons are the ones that will define him in history — either as a very good player who did a few special things, or as one of the most sensational, remarkable talents to play the game.
“A very good player who did a few special things?” Doesn’t that undersell Rodriguez a bit? If he got hit by a bus tomorrow his career would end with him at 8th on the all-time home run list and three MVPs under his belt, with the majority of his time spent at shortstop. To steal Bill James’ line about Rickey Henderson, if you cut him in two you’d have two Hall of Famers.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)