Feb 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Tribune has a story about Carlos Silva and his weight. This is classic:
“That was one of the (bad) things with Seattle. Here, they want to get
me back on track in my pitching. They don’t worry about my size or my
weight. In Seattle, they were worried more about my weight than
anything else. I feel more comfortable here. Getting people out is what
matters. I’m not out of shape at all. Ask the trainers.”
The trainers aren’t allowed to speak with the media, but pitching coach Larry Rothschild gave an honest appraisal.
“You’d like him to lose some weight,” he said. “And we’ve talked to him about it.”
Piniella’s zinger may be the best: “Silva is a hard worker, there’s no question about it. He might be a hard eater (too).” Lou can’t really talk, of course, but at least the Cubs aren’t expecting him to cover first or jog in from the bullpen or anything.
Such weighty issues aside, I like the Silva-Bradley trade for Chicago more than most people. Bradley’s problem was his attitude and his mouth. Silva’s mouth won’t be a problem all year, what with being filled with Ring-Dings and whatnot.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)