Feb 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Tribune has a story about Carlos Silva and his weight. This is classic:
“That was one of the (bad) things with Seattle. Here, they want to get
me back on track in my pitching. They don’t worry about my size or my
weight. In Seattle, they were worried more about my weight than
anything else. I feel more comfortable here. Getting people out is what
matters. I’m not out of shape at all. Ask the trainers.”
The trainers aren’t allowed to speak with the media, but pitching coach Larry Rothschild gave an honest appraisal.
“You’d like him to lose some weight,” he said. “And we’ve talked to him about it.”
Piniella’s zinger may be the best: “Silva is a hard worker, there’s no question about it. He might be a hard eater (too).” Lou can’t really talk, of course, but at least the Cubs aren’t expecting him to cover first or jog in from the bullpen or anything.
Such weighty issues aside, I like the Silva-Bradley trade for Chicago more than most people. Bradley’s problem was his attitude and his mouth. Silva’s mouth won’t be a problem all year, what with being filled with Ring-Dings and whatnot.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)