Feb 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Tribune has a story about Carlos Silva and his weight. This is classic:
“That was one of the (bad) things with Seattle. Here, they want to get
me back on track in my pitching. They don’t worry about my size or my
weight. In Seattle, they were worried more about my weight than
anything else. I feel more comfortable here. Getting people out is what
matters. I’m not out of shape at all. Ask the trainers.”
The trainers aren’t allowed to speak with the media, but pitching coach Larry Rothschild gave an honest appraisal.
“You’d like him to lose some weight,” he said. “And we’ve talked to him about it.”
Piniella’s zinger may be the best: “Silva is a hard worker, there’s no question about it. He might be a hard eater (too).” Lou can’t really talk, of course, but at least the Cubs aren’t expecting him to cover first or jog in from the bullpen or anything.
Such weighty issues aside, I like the Silva-Bradley trade for Chicago more than most people. Bradley’s problem was his attitude and his mouth. Silva’s mouth won’t be a problem all year, what with being filled with Ring-Dings and whatnot.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)