Carlos Silva insists he's big boned

Feb 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EST

Carlos Silva.jpgThe Tribune has a story about Carlos Silva and his weight. This is classic:

“That was one of the (bad) things with Seattle. Here, they want to get
me back on track in my pitching. They don’t worry about my size or my
weight. In Seattle, they were worried more about my weight than
anything else. I feel more comfortable here. Getting people out is what
matters. I’m not out of shape at all. Ask the trainers.”

The trainers aren’t allowed to speak with the media, but pitching coach Larry Rothschild gave an honest appraisal.

“You’d like him to lose some weight,” he said. “And we’ve talked to him about it.”

Piniella’s zinger may be the best: “Silva is a hard worker, there’s no question about it. He might be a hard eater (too).”  Lou can’t really talk, of course, but at least the Cubs aren’t expecting him to cover first or jog in from the bullpen or anything.

Such weighty issues aside, I like the Silva-Bradley trade for Chicago more than most people.  Bradley’s problem was his attitude and his mouth.  Silva’s mouth won’t be a problem all year, what with being filled with Ring-Dings and whatnot.

1. IlliferThePenniless - Feb 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM

C-
    As a big M’s fan, let me just say that Silva was no joy to have in the club house while he was in Seattle. In addition to be totally unable to get anybody out he spent time talking about how bad a team mate Ichiro was and how everybody on the team was terrible.
    Those joyous cries from Seattle blogs you heard when the trade went down weren’t just because of his performance (or lack thereof) on the mound.

2. willmose - Feb 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Silva has found his team, the Cubs. It is a match made in baseball heaven. He can carry on the great tradition. Until Lily gets back Silva can fill the void and then who knows. Cy Young? MVP? The sky is the limit now that M’s aren’t making a big deal out of his weight. Oh wait, sorry, it is Silva that’s putting on a great deal of weight.

3. Trevor - Feb 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM

The best part about Carlos Silva is his wikipedia article’s header
    “This article is about a baseball player. For the athlete see Carlos Silva (athlete).”
    Et tu, wikipedia?

4. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Sid Fernandez and David Wells were big-boned as well.

5. mjohnson5 - Feb 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Some people think the Cubs would have been better off simply releasing Bradley. I disagree.
    Silva sucks, but he won’t be a huge burden on the Cubs. The Cubs saved something like $6 million in acquiring him, and I contend that – if he’s bad – he won’t pitch more than 30 innings for the Cubs. They’ll put him on the DL and/or release him before he drags the team down too much. Worst case scenario, Cubs save 6 million and lose maybe 2 more games.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5290)
  2. M. Kemp (3139)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2859)
  4. C. McGehee (2848)