Feb 25, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT
I generally stay out of the Dodgers-Giants rivalry because I really don’t have a dog in the hunt. There are years that I like to see the Giants get the best of the Dodgers and vice-versa. It usually depends on the makeup of the rosters, how it impacts postseason matchups, and whether or not one or the other of them beat up on the Braves that given year. At present I’m favoring the Giants because of my
crush on admiration for Tim Lincecum and the fact that the Dodgers media people are acting like jerks. That could easily change, however depending on how awesome Matt Kemp or Clayton Kershaw decide to be this year or whatever.
But after scanning the newspapers this morning, I may have to go all-in with the Giants. Why? Owner Bill Neukom has made retro-style, orange-striped socks available to his players and strongly encourages their use:
In addition to the standard sanitaries and the all-black socks, the
Giants also made a deluxe version available to their major leaguers
this spring. They’re black with three horizontal orange stripes that
are only visible when their pant legs are worn high.
They’ll be required at Single-A San Jose and other minor league stops that share the Giants’ color schemes.
“I think it’s a great look,” Neukom said. “I think it looks like baseball. I also think it’ll make them faster runners.”
Frank McCourt can have his Chinese soccer team and football stadium in the parking lot. I’d prefer the owner of my team to care about baseball stuff. Especially trivial and wonderful baseball stuff like striped socks.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)