Feb 25, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mark McGwire’s brother Jay is coming out with a book that — brace yourselves, people — says that Mark McGwire used a bunch of steroids:
Estranged from his brother for eight years
because of a family dispute, Jay McGwire has gone public in “Mark and
Me: Mark McGwire and the Truth Behind Baseball’s Worst-Kept Secret,”
which is scheduled for publication Monday by TriumphBooks.
“He knows his game went to the next level because his body went to the
next level,” Jay McGwire said. “He knows. The body, the before and
after pictures, are amazing.”
I know. I’m not sure what to believe either.
In all seriousness, I actually feel kind of bad for Jay. He was trying to sell this as a book over a year ago, back when its contents would have been news, and no one paid him a lick of attention. Only now that everyone knows about it would a publisher take the thing.
And I’m guessing Jay McGwire is not a hard man to find, so when he started talking last year, why didn’t any of the reporters who are so outraged now and who feel that they’re not being told the whole story go talk to him and write a story about it? Why didn’t they take what they could have learned from Jay and then actually, you know, reported the stuff they now complain is being withheld from them?
The answer is that none of the people who have attacked McGwire for not fully coming clean really care about the information. They only want to traffic in outrage. It’s so much easier and so much more satisfying.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)