Feb 25, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mark McGwire’s brother Jay is coming out with a book that — brace yourselves, people — says that Mark McGwire used a bunch of steroids:
Estranged from his brother for eight years
because of a family dispute, Jay McGwire has gone public in “Mark and
Me: Mark McGwire and the Truth Behind Baseball’s Worst-Kept Secret,”
which is scheduled for publication Monday by TriumphBooks.
“He knows his game went to the next level because his body went to the
next level,” Jay McGwire said. “He knows. The body, the before and
after pictures, are amazing.”
I know. I’m not sure what to believe either.
In all seriousness, I actually feel kind of bad for Jay. He was trying to sell this as a book over a year ago, back when its contents would have been news, and no one paid him a lick of attention. Only now that everyone knows about it would a publisher take the thing.
And I’m guessing Jay McGwire is not a hard man to find, so when he started talking last year, why didn’t any of the reporters who are so outraged now and who feel that they’re not being told the whole story go talk to him and write a story about it? Why didn’t they take what they could have learned from Jay and then actually, you know, reported the stuff they now complain is being withheld from them?
The answer is that none of the people who have attacked McGwire for not fully coming clean really care about the information. They only want to traffic in outrage. It’s so much easier and so much more satisfying.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)