Feb 25, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Mark McGwire’s brother Jay is coming out with a book that — brace yourselves, people — says that Mark McGwire used a bunch of steroids:
Estranged from his brother for eight years
because of a family dispute, Jay McGwire has gone public in “Mark and
Me: Mark McGwire and the Truth Behind Baseball’s Worst-Kept Secret,”
which is scheduled for publication Monday by TriumphBooks.
“He knows his game went to the next level because his body went to the
next level,” Jay McGwire said. “He knows. The body, the before and
after pictures, are amazing.”
I know. I’m not sure what to believe either.
In all seriousness, I actually feel kind of bad for Jay. He was trying to sell this as a book over a year ago, back when its contents would have been news, and no one paid him a lick of attention. Only now that everyone knows about it would a publisher take the thing.
And I’m guessing Jay McGwire is not a hard man to find, so when he started talking last year, why didn’t any of the reporters who are so outraged now and who feel that they’re not being told the whole story go talk to him and write a story about it? Why didn’t they take what they could have learned from Jay and then actually, you know, reported the stuff they now complain is being withheld from them?
The answer is that none of the people who have attacked McGwire for not fully coming clean really care about the information. They only want to traffic in outrage. It’s so much easier and so much more satisfying.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)