McGwire on his brother's book: "It's a sad, sad day for my family."

Feb 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT

Things Mark McGwire said about his brother’s new book while looking meaningfully at Al Neri:

“I took care of him for a number of years. I guess this is what I get
for payback. It’s sort of sad. It’s a sad day for
my family. I don’t know how a family member can do that . . . I thought I could trust.  You think you could trust (family).”

He went to say that he doesn’t plan to see his brother ever again.  Harsh.  But maybe they’ll reconcile and Jay can teach Mark’s son how to fish by saying Hail Marys or whatever.

1. YX - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I have way more respect for Billy Bulger than this guy(Jay).

2. YANKEES1996 - Feb 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I have to agree with Mark McGwire here this is heavy blow to land against a member of your family, even if you have a disagreement. It is quite obvious however that Jay is only looking for the almighty dollar and doesn’t care whatsoever about his brother or his family. His writing that book is about as low as you can go in my opinion.

3. DougTucson - Feb 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

The day has long passed when Mark McGwire has any right to pass judgment on anyone. And Mighty Mark should certainly know about doing things that produce sad days for his family.

4. Old Gator - Feb 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Yeah, he does for family what Jose Canseco did for old friends. I don’t know if the McGwire’s mom and dad are still around but if they are this must be killing them – which of course would drop this slug a few notches lower on the Y axis below the X axis.

5. scatterbrian - Feb 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I miss Roger Clinton.

6. JBerardi - Feb 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

“You don’t do that. You don’t turn in your brother or your parents or your kids no matter what they’ve done. What ever happened to family values?”. (NSFW)

7. Joey B - Feb 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I have no use for McGwire, but this is plain wrong. If his brother needs money, get an f’ing job.

8. BillyBeaneismyHero - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Craig –
    Just an FYI, but his brother Dan, not Jay would be able to teach him how to sail Hail Mary’s over a receiver’s head.

9. Rays fan - Feb 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Mark & Jay McGwire already hadn’t been speaking in 8 years. This has certainly driven the wedge deeper.

10. Shely - Feb 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

How about Billy Carter? Remember him? Where is the beer?

11. scatterbrian - Feb 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I actually found a six-pack minus one can at a garage sale not too long ago…

12. scatterbrian - Feb 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Billy Beer = Swilly Beer

13. h2oface - Feb 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM

code blue, chain of command, family…….. the truth is just the truth. the ones that hide it are the ones who want to play god. if you don’t cheat, you don’t need people to lie for you, or…. practice a lie of omission, or just keep their mouth shut and deny the truth and let you lie. maybe jay got mixed up in a 12 step program and was brainwashed.

14. medicare - Feb 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate