Feb 25, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
With no agreement in sight, the Rays and Carl Crawford have chosen to halt extension talks until the end of the season, agent Brian Peters told the St. Petersburg Times.
“We had an opportunity to exchange ideas with the club about a contract extension for Carl and it was clear to all of us that an immediate agreement was not going to materialize,” Peters said. “Thus, we all agreed to table discussions until the end of the year.”
Crawford is entering the second and final option year of a deal that’s paid him $33.5 million over six seasons, and barring an agreement prior to the end of the World Series, he’ll become a free agent for the first time at age 29. The speedster has long been viewed as a perfect fit for the Yankees, and it’s been speculated that one of the reasons the Bombers declined to give Johnny Damon a two-year deal this winter was that they had their eyes on Crawford.
That an extension couldn’t be worked out probably won’t put Crawford on the market immediately. The Rays hope to contend this year, and they might have a slight chance of keeping Crawford if they can make it to the postseason for the second time in three years. However, it they fall out of contention early, Crawford’s name will certainly come up at the trade deadline. Since the Rays don’t expect their payroll to expand in 2011 and Crawford is in line for a contract that will pay him $15 million-$18 million per year, it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll remain with the club for the long term.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)