Feb 25, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
With no agreement in sight, the Rays and Carl Crawford have chosen to halt extension talks until the end of the season, agent Brian Peters told the St. Petersburg Times.
“We had an opportunity to exchange ideas with the club about a contract extension for Carl and it was clear to all of us that an immediate agreement was not going to materialize,” Peters said. “Thus, we all agreed to table discussions until the end of the year.”
Crawford is entering the second and final option year of a deal that’s paid him $33.5 million over six seasons, and barring an agreement prior to the end of the World Series, he’ll become a free agent for the first time at age 29. The speedster has long been viewed as a perfect fit for the Yankees, and it’s been speculated that one of the reasons the Bombers declined to give Johnny Damon a two-year deal this winter was that they had their eyes on Crawford.
That an extension couldn’t be worked out probably won’t put Crawford on the market immediately. The Rays hope to contend this year, and they might have a slight chance of keeping Crawford if they can make it to the postseason for the second time in three years. However, it they fall out of contention early, Crawford’s name will certainly come up at the trade deadline. Since the Rays don’t expect their payroll to expand in 2011 and Crawford is in line for a contract that will pay him $15 million-$18 million per year, it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll remain with the club for the long term.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 130
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (130)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)