Beltran and the Mets really haven't buried the hatchet

Feb 26, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT

Heyman hears things:

Carlos Beltran made nice when he got to Mets’ camp, saying that
he got over the club’s hardball tactics in the wake of Beltran’s
decision to have surgery after Mets doctor David Altcheck approved it but the Mets had yet to give written approval (Mets
ownership has threatened to dock is pay over this, depending on his
ability to play this year). However, a teammate said that Beltran is
not quite as over it as he suggests and said he believes that Beltran
is likely to go when his contract is up.

Beltran will turn 35 in April 2012, which will be the first season after his current deal expires. While I think Beltran will still be a quite useful player at that point, after six years, $119 million, a lot of unfair bad press and, if I had to guess, only one playoff appearance during that stretch, I’m guessing everyone involved would be happy to part ways once his deal is up.

1. JBerardi - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:32 PM

A player like Beltran deserves a better team than the Mets.

2. Jamie - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM

A Scott Boras client plans to pursue free agency? And Jon Heyman somehow became aware of this? Wonders never cease.

3. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM

We all do, JBerardi…. we all do.

4. Benny Blanco - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Craig, you always know how to make things sound worse than they really are when it comes to the mets.
    I know your a Braves fan and all, but as a journalist, try writng an article with a positive spin about the Mets. Granted, that may be easier saad than done. After all, its spring training, when everyones hopes are high.
    Oh and I wonder where all “the unfair bad press” originates?

5. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Which part of this post do you take issue with? The part where I quote something a reporter who’s tight with Beltran’s agent writes about Beltran’s feelings? The part in which I set forth his age and contract stats? The part where I suggest that the Mets and Beltran — who are at odds — might not sign a fresh contract two years from now?
    Help me out here, because I really, really want to know which part of this is me being unfair about the Mets.

6. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM

No, things aren’t “pretty bad” with the Mets. They’re REALLY bad. Like, approaching Pirates-bad.
    Beltran will be gone at the trading deadline next year.

7. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I suspect that at this point Wilpon would send him to the Borg and pay most if not all of his salary if they agreed to take Omar at the same time.

8. Benny Blanco - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Dont get me wrong Craig. Fact is, I enjoy reading your posts. And maybe this isnt the best example of your negativity towards the Mets. But your constantly beating them up. Whether its Beltran, Frenchy or Bay, its always the same.
    If they start off playing good ball, I’d love to read a positive post. If not, I’ll expect to read more abuse.

9. Mikey - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Maybe the Mets should pick up a stud outfielder like a Melky Cabrera. Now that would really earn them some real respect.

10. Benny Blanco - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

BC, c’mon man. Besides last year, theres no comparison. Leave your hate behind and make an intelligent commnet.

11. P Diddy - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

12. draculae - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Later Car-louse. And don’t let the door hit your lame A-S-S on the way out of New York. Better yet, TRADE HIM NOW!!!

13. since68 - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM

If I were the Mets I would get rid of Beltran the first chance I got. As far as I’m concerned, he was a bad signing. For someone some people say is the best CF in the league, then it’s a real bad stretch for mlb CF’s.
    Please name me the 5 biggest hits of Beltran’s career as a Met. I can’t think of very many off hand. In his first 4 years he has more HR’s than any other Met on the team. When was his last walk off? This is our star player (not pitcher)? Our franchise player?
    Now name me the 5 biggest hits of Piazza’s Met career? David Wright? Even Jose Reyes? Why do these come to mind so much more easily?
    Get rid of Beltran. He’s has no heart and he’s a baby.

14. jwb - Feb 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

“Beltran and the Mets really haven’t buried the hatchet”
    But if Minaya comes close enough. . .

15. JE - Feb 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

“Good riddance. Lasting image of him standing there taking a called third strike against the Cardinals and not sliding. Good player but fundamentally nonchalant.”

Yeah, right.

16. la tanya - Feb 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I am leaving for the night, but I just needed to post a comment here so I can remember to come back in the morning.

17. How to play texas holdem poker online - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Is it true that many singers get screwed over by record studies that wanted to take every dollar ??

18. Odis Russum - Mar 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Couldn’t have said it better. Nice to see someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Three legends off to Cooperstown