Feb 26, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Jay Buhner was in M’s camp today showing off a new bat he’s helping a Washington-based sporting goods company develop:
It’s a new bat called the Axe, made of maple with a handle that’s shaped like, you guessed it, the handle of an axe . . . The idea, Trudeau said, is based on stories that
Ted Williams would swing an axe in the offeseason to build his swing.
The flatter shape of an axe handle fits the hand better than a
perfectly round bat. Not only that, but the knob is angled such that
Buhner believes hitters won’t suffer problems with hand fatigue or
hamate bone injuries that are more common with a traditional bat.
Makes me miss Skip Caray even more than I do. Such a bat would give a whole new meaning to one of his “Chopper to Chipper” calls.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 11
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 36
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)