I rip Jeff Francoeur because I want him to succeed

Feb 26, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT

At least that’s the story I’m going with after reading this piece about Kevin Kouzmanoff:

And when he was in the Indians’ system, at Triple-A Buffalo, someone
told him he was a bad fielder. Well, he wasn’t told, exactly.

“I read an article that said how poor my defense was,” he said. “I
sort of took that to heart. My footwork wasn’t good, and I had stiff
hands.”

His solution to both problems? “Reps.”

“I just started working on it, and I kept at it until I got better,”
he said. “I don’t remember the guy’s name, but a shout out to whomever
wrote that.”

And you thought writers didn’t add anything to the party.

Snark aside, it’s a pretty nice writeup on Kouzmanoff, who sounds like a ballplayer who takes his craft seriously.

1. Dan Whitney - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Kouz was always a fan favorite in San Diego while he was here. Big community guy too, seems like he and Adrian were throwing benefit dinners twice a month where you could go to some swank downtown restaurant and the corner infielders would bus tables for some cause or another. Good dude. Can’t really be too upset about him being shipped, though, as he was probably about at the peak of his value and the kid Cunningham looks like something worth watching going forward.

2. YankeesfanLen - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM

And here I was thinking we’re ripping Frenchie because he was a Met. Sorry.Hey, remember Castillo’s game ending catch on 6/12/09?

3. Charles Gates - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

+2.

4. Benny Blanco - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Yankee fans. One more useless comment.

5. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I could have guessed you were a left winger because of your sympathy with the French, Craig. Next, you’ll be wanting to change the name of the fried potatoes back to French fries.
    But that’s really the difference between us. You rip Frenchy because you want him to succeed. I rip Loria because I want him to take his Chihuahua and go away.

6. DJ - Feb 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Probably Mike Harrington at The Buffalo News.

7. IdahoMariner - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I rip Frenchie because I can’t get the image — of him in the outfield flinching, crouching, eyes tightly closed and glove out like the kid from the movie Parenthood — out of my mind. Every time you write about him, that’s what I see.

8. jabarbanol - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I don’t know what brought about the image of Jeff Francoeur flinching, crouching, eyes tightly closed and glove out like the kid from the movie Parenthood, but have you seen him, all through his major league career, consistently throwing out runner after runner at the plate?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win