Feb 26, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Youkilis, a guy many people first heard about by virtue of him being prominently mentioned in “Moneyball” — and a guy who plays for arguably the most stat-savvy team in baseball — don’t need no stinkin’ sabermetrics:
“I don’t go off all those UZRs . . . is it UZR?” Youkilis said. “I
don’t even know what it is. I hope my UZR is sick, along with my OBSTR.
“I don’t know how they do it. How do you measure defense? You make
an error, you make an error. You get to a ball, you don’t get to a
ball. What if you have a bad hamstring and you can’t get to a ball up
the line? I don’t know what they evaluate, but a good ballplayer is a
And if I’m the Red Sox I’m perfectly happy with this answer. I want the players playing good defense — which Youkilis manifestly does — and not thinking too hard about how it rates. There are plenty of underpaid analysts on staff to worry about whether Youkilis’ UZR is sick.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17