Pujols: don't call me "El Hombre"

Feb 26, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for pujols.jpgWe’re living in the dark ages of baseball nicknames. Most players don’t even have one, and most of those who do have dumb ones that rarely amount to more than adding a “y” or “ey” on to the end of their names.  In a sport that gave us “Oil Can,” “The Yankee Clipper,” and “Death to Flying Things,” it’s sad damn state of affairs. Even more sad is that we apparently now have to give up one of the few good ones out there:

Pujols politely asked that the media and fans refrain from calling
him “El Hombre,” because he believes it’s disrespectful to Cardinals
Hall of Famer Stan “The Man” Musial.

“I don’t want to be called that,”  Pujols said. “There is one man
that gets that respect, and that’s Stan Musial. He’s the Man. He’s the
Man in St. Louis. And I know ‘El Hombre’ means ‘The Man’ in Spanish.
But Stan is The Man. You can call me whatever else you want, but just
don’t call me El Hombre.”

OK, I’ll grant that it’s hard to argue with his reasoning. But if you can’t pick your own nickname, you certainly can’t un-pick one others have bestowed upon you.  If you could, Dick Stuart wouldn’t be remembered as “Dr. Strangeglove,” and that weird kid from my high school who everyone picked on wouldn’t be doing 25-to-life at the Mount Olive Correctional Complex.

So unless someone can come up with an alternative nickname for Pujols — something as menacing as, say, “The Big Hurt” but which simultaneously captures Pujols’ class and grace — I’m sticking with El Hombre.

1. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Oh, so we should call him La Mujer instead?

2. Ross - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me you can call me Al. Call me Al.

3. Gold Star for Robot Boy - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Her name was Magil, and she called herself Lil – but everyone knew her as Nancy.

4. larry - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Its nice to a modern player have respect for the players who came before him. Especially in a baseball hot bed like St. Louis.
    Albert is one the all time greats.

5. Chris K - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Yeah, I think Albert’s letting his quest for classiness get in the way here.
    To this Cardinals fan, it’s the perfect nickname. It acknowledges Stan and the Cardinals history, while celebrating Albert.

6. Snuffy - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Albert Pujols= Grim Reaper.

7. YANKEES1996 - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM

ESPN had something right for a change in their commercial, “The Machine” plain & simple.

8. OldNo7 - Feb 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

What’s wrong with Poo Holes?

9. Jeff - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

You can call me whatever else you want, but just don’t call me El Hombre.”
    I thought that joke ended with “late for dinner.”

10. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I got it:
    Mi nombre es Albert Pujols y no llevo puestos pantalones.
    They could just put “pantalones” on the uniform, I suppose.

11. Grant - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

We can call him, “The Ballplayer Formerly Known As El Hombre”

12. BC - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Or what about Inigo Montoya?

13. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I would make a simple adjustment to “El Senor,” but if “El Hombre” was too much for this disarmingly modest gent I don’t think that would fly either.

14. Al - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

BC….from now on we will call you idiot.

15. AL - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM

BC , from now on we will call you idiot. How about we just call the man, Albert Pujols, the best baseball player in America.

16. all4tookie - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM

simple: La Maquina

17. Omega in Colorado - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

May I submit for your perusal two fitting (albeit conflicting) nicknames:
    #1 ‘El Torro’ Big strong graceful animal.
    #2 ‘El Matador’ just sounds freakin’ cool to say!

18. Roger - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

How about El Hombre Dos

19. Michael - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM

i vote for “The Man Crush”. it works on so many levels.

20. willmose - Feb 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Craig, Albert gets it, you don’t.

21. StL Card - Feb 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM