Quote of the Day II: Bob McClure on Kyle Farnsworth

Feb 26, 2010, 4:25 PM EST

“I’ll tell you what. Watching him
throw a (bullpen workout) is almost like watching Zack (Greinke) throw
one. He’s that accurate.”

Royals pitching coach Bob McClure, commenting on Kyle Farnsworth’s pitching, apparently moments after taking a giant hit off a crack pipe.

1. Ron - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

2. ecp - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Bob McClure always did have a repuation as a bit of a, shall we say, “free spirit.”

3. Curious George - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Doesn’t McClure’s comment have at least a little validity?
    Farnsworth sucks you in because he *does* look so good. He’s tall, has a nice smooth windup and throws hard. Trouble is, move him out of a bullpen session and onto the game mound, and those otherwise impressive-looking pitches reveal themselves to be fastballs with no movement. Kapow!

4. Dave - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Rather off-topic, but every time I see “Bob McClure” I think of Troy McClure from the Simpsons (“Hi, I’m Troy McClure, you may remember me from such nonsense as ‘Kyle Farnsworth has Zack Greinke’s accuracy'”).

5. Flup - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Saw Farnsworth walk in the Orioles’ winning run at Camden Yards a few years ago. Loved it. Mostly because I knew the image would haunt all the smug Yankees fans as they made the long drive back up the turnpike.

6. Morgan W - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I dont blame the guy with his big sell. (Is he the guy that got Farnsworth there in the first place??) I have a house with 2 rooms, yet I only mention the amazing ‘vista’. The Royals are stuck with a retarded contract they dont want. “It’s all relative”

7. AJ Gallo - Feb 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM

He has always looked good warming up IN the bullpen. The only problem is that Farnsworthless is the best gasoline can to come OUT of a bullpen in years.

8. AJ Gallo - Feb 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM

So, as an Orioles fan, is that your best memory of your team in the last dozen or so years?

9. AJ Gallo - Feb 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM

So as an Orioles fan I’m guessing that’s the highlight of your memories of your team for the last dozen or so years.

1. M. Upton (2442)