Rosenthal's radical realignment proposal

Feb 26, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT

US Map.gifFOX’s Ken Rosenthal thinks it’s time to realign the divisions to break up the Red Sox-Yankees hegemony.  You gotta go to the interactive map in the middle to see his actual idea for radical realignment, but it breaks down like this:

AL Atlantic:  Yankees, Mets, Nationals, Orioles, Blue Jays;

AL Great Lakes: Reds, Indians, Tigers, Pirates, Twins;

AL Pacific: Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Athletics, Mariners;

NL East: Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Rays, Marlins;

NL Midwest: Royals, Cubs, Cardinals, White Sox Brewers;

NL Southwest: Astros, Rangers, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Padres.

Initial thoughts:

• This scheme makes the Yankees’ path to the playoffs easier, not harder, replacing the Red Sox and Rays — tough competition — with the Mets and Nationals — less tough;
  • The AL Great Lakes would never get a game on national television;
  • I gotta admit, the AL Pacific is a pretty sweet division;
  • The NL East suddenly becomes an impossibly difficult division;
  • The new NL Midwest gives the Royals even less of a chance than they have now; and
  • The Padres probably won’t care much for being disassociated from the west coast and forced to play so many games far from home. Otherwise I don’t have any strong feelings about the NL Southwest.

Of course radical realignment like this just isn’t going to happen. Nor should it. Yes, right now the AL East seems a little unfair, but but baseball has always done well by practicing small-c conservatism with respect to this kind of thing and not allowing temporary problems dictate long-term planning.

If the AL East is a joke for another 5-10 years call me, but right now this sort of thing is best left as an intellectual exercise, not a serious proposal.

1. Putz - Feb 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

As a Twins fan I am totally against that plan. Half of our schedule is boring already, what with cleveland and kansas city. But the Pirates?! Cincinnati?! Pass.

2. croc hunter... - Feb 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM

save your politcal talking points garbage for some other website!

3. Stone - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

As a Braves fan, my initial thought was the NL East sucked and so screw the whole thing. But you know what? Philly hasn’t always been good and neither has Boston. Baseball always goes in cycles, the Braves would win eventually. After that though subsided, the entire set up looks amazing, makes perfect sense. I especially like the Great Lakes division, those teams are perfect for each other.

4. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Just let me know when you run this web site and make the rules and then you can start giving directions, putz. Meanwhile, save your kind thoughts for my birthday.

5. ptgvn - Feb 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM

As I Tigers fan, I’m just happy to hear anyone else say that they’re tired of seeing the Tigers all the time. I wish I had that problem here in Arizona!

6. MVD - Feb 27, 2010 at 6:33 AM

I’m honestly angry. This is the stupidest effing idea I’ve ever heard.
    A) The same city/same state teams (New York Yankees/Mets) should NEVER be in the same league/division.
    B) You don’t just make teams switch leagues for no effing reason!
    C) Division names must match.
    As for San Diego, true, but the same situation that the Rangers are in now.

7. MVD - Feb 27, 2010 at 6:37 AM

If the leagues both had 15 teams, one team from each league would have to be off everyday, unless there were interleague games throughout the entire season. There was a similar imbalance before the Rockies and Marlins, when there were 26 teams. The leagues were 14 and 12. I don’t sure how this doesn’t make sense.

8. gadgetdeal - Feb 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Hello. Wonderful employment. I did not anticipate this on a Wednesday. This really is a great story. Thanks!

9. Old Gator - Feb 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

How about this for the NL Southeast: Mutts, Feesh, Gnats, Inbreds, Feather Lice. Then the Feesh could make a run at the wild card.
    What MLB really needs is a premiership system like British backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball has. The team that finishes last in each division drops down to Triple-A the following year – sans luxury tax income while sloshing around in the minor league swamp – and has to fight its way back to the Show and replace the following year’s basement trolls by coming in ahead of the other Triple-A teams in its division.
    I love the idea most of all because that’d be the last time that some cheapskate like Scrooge McLoria would try to pocket his luxury tax money instead of investing it in roster improvements. Or better yet – it’d force MLB to be a lot more discriminating in which comparative vagrants it permits to own those teams in the first place.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5332)