Feb 26, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
FOX’s Ken Rosenthal thinks it’s time to realign the divisions to break up the Red Sox-Yankees hegemony. You gotta go to the interactive map in the middle to see his actual idea for radical realignment, but it breaks down like this:
AL Atlantic: Yankees, Mets, Nationals, Orioles, Blue Jays;
AL Great Lakes: Reds, Indians, Tigers, Pirates, Twins;
AL Pacific: Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Athletics, Mariners;
NL East: Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Rays, Marlins;
NL Midwest: Royals, Cubs, Cardinals, White Sox Brewers;
NL Southwest: Astros, Rangers, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Padres.
- This scheme makes the Yankees’ path to the playoffs easier, not harder, replacing the Red Sox and Rays — tough competition — with the Mets and Nationals — less tough;
- The AL Great Lakes would never get a game on national television;
- I gotta admit, the AL Pacific is a pretty sweet division;
- The NL East suddenly becomes an impossibly difficult division;
- The new NL Midwest gives the Royals even less of a chance than they have now; and
- The Padres probably won’t care much for being disassociated from the west coast and forced to play so many games far from home. Otherwise I don’t have any strong feelings about the NL Southwest.
Of course radical realignment like this just isn’t going to happen. Nor should it. Yes, right now the AL East seems a little unfair, but but baseball has always done well by practicing small-c conservatism with respect to this kind of thing and not allowing temporary problems dictate long-term planning.
If the AL East is a joke for another 5-10 years call me, but right now this sort of thing is best left as an intellectual exercise, not a serious proposal.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)