Feb 27, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
- Jair Jurrjens’ timetable is changing by the minute — and for the
better. He was originally supposed to long-toss again in the next few
days, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that he was out there today and could possibly pitch off a mound on Monday. Manager Bobby Cox is expected to release his Grapefruit League rotation on Monday,
so provided he doesn’t suffer a setback with the shoulder, there’s a chance Jurrjens could see
some work in an exhibition game much sooner than originally anticipated. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that it could be as soon as the first or second week of March.
- Derek Holland threw a successful bullpen session on Saturday, his first since spraining his knee during agility drills one week ago. Holland, who wore a protective brace during the session,
“wanted to keep going,” however he’ll probably toss live batting practice on Monday as he inches toward game action.
- Brad Bergesen received rave reviews after tossing his first bullpen session since December due to a strained shoulder. Pitching coach Rick Kranitz said Bergesen “didn’t miss a beat,” while catcher Matt Wieters said the 24-year-old right-hander “had his sink back already.” Bergesen is expected to complete two more side sessions before throwing live batting practice.
- Francisco Rodriguez is still being bothered by a contagious pink eye condition. According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, he is expected to visit a doctor on Monday.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)