Feb 27, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
– Jair Jurrjens’ timetable is changing by the minute — and for the
better. He was originally supposed to long-toss again in the next few
days, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that he was out there today and could possibly pitch off a mound on Monday. Manager Bobby Cox is expected to release his Grapefruit League rotation on Monday,
so provided he doesn’t suffer a setback with the shoulder, there’s a chance Jurrjens could see
some work in an exhibition game much sooner than originally anticipated. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that it could be as soon as the first or second week of March.
– Derek Holland threw a successful bullpen session on Saturday, his first since spraining his knee during agility drills one week ago. Holland, who wore a protective brace during the session,
“wanted to keep going,” however he’ll probably toss live batting practice on Monday as he inches toward game action.
– Brad Bergesen received rave reviews after tossing his first bullpen session since December due to a strained shoulder. Pitching coach Rick Kranitz said Bergesen “didn’t miss a beat,” while catcher Matt Wieters said the 24-year-old right-hander “had his sink back already.” Bergesen is expected to complete two more side sessions before throwing live batting practice.
– Francisco Rodriguez is still being bothered by a contagious pink eye condition. According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, he is expected to visit a doctor on Monday.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)