Kelvim Escobar may open the season on the DL

Feb 27, 2010, 2:17 PM EST

Kelvim Escobar headshot.jpgOr at least that’s what it sounds like. Here’s manager Jerry Manuel, as quoted by Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News:

“I don’t see it right now,” Manuel said about the righthander’s Opening Day availability. “Hopefully I’m wrong.”

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Gee, what a surprise.
    Omar and his “management” team are just pathetic.

2. Oscar Minaya - Feb 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Let’s see, a healthy Felipe Lopez for $2M or a broken Kelvim Escobar for $1.5M… Quick, somebody bring me my decision coin. It’s time for a flip.

3. NastyNate - Feb 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Why does this management team insist on talking to their fans like they are morons?
    “he wasn’t expected to be ready for the start of the season in the first place”
    That is such a crock of @!#^.
    Did they have the dodgers doctors check escobar out and take their word for it? (that was los mets explanation of why reyes injury was misdiagnosed).
    Did they not give him a physical a la jj putz?
    And Oscar, how about reed johnson for 800k or gary matthews jr for 1M?
    Garko for 500k, Hinske for 1M or Tatis for 1.5M?
    F. Lopez for 2M or Cora for 2M?
    Geez I can’t wait for omar and his minions to be gone

4. Old Gator - Feb 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I was a Mutts fan for years and I still have some slumbering sympathy for them because of that, but brother, this is really getting harder and harder to watch. I’m ready to hear that Marv Throneberry’s grandson is ready to make the jump from Double A.
    Kiko Calero. Bubba, when the Feesh won’t kill themselves to sign someone who could be had cheaply, you know you’re about to pick a pocket with a mousetrap in it. Good luck.

5. Nasty Boy - Feb 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I guess the only way you can be signed by the Mets is to be broke down. It seems that’s the criteria to get signed by Omar Minaya. How does this guy keep his job ? Thank God I’m a Yankee fan, I feel so blessed.

6. jwb - Feb 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

“Did they have the dodgers doctors check escobar out and take their word for it?”
    No, the Mets checked him out in December before they signed him. The medical/training staff is in mid-season form.

7. Old Gator - Feb 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Just make sure if you break a leg or tear a tendon not to let it go public, or you’re gonna wake up in a Mutts uniform.

8. Darby Vanwingerden - Mar 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Awesome blog post, thanks for keeping me busy!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3944)