Feb 27, 2010, 8:39 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Shin-Soo Choo has hired Scott Boras to be his agent, leaving Octagon Worldwide behind. Choo, 27, batted .300/.394/.489 with 20 homers, 86 RBI and 26 stolen bases last season. He is under team control through 2013, but he will be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season.
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com recently reported that the Indians feel they have the financial flexibility to lock up both Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera to long-term contracts, however an extension for Choo will almost certainly be complicated by the presence of Boras.
Of course, Kendry Morales also recently hired Boras after he fired the Hendricks brothers in what appears to be a financial dispute. Like Choo, the 26-year-old first baseman will be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)