Feb 28, 2010, 8:15 PM EST
The A’s added two veteran right-handers on Sunday, re-signing the rehabbing Brett Tomko and picking up Jason Jennings on a minor league contract.
Tomko, who went 4-1 with a 2.95 ERA in six starts for the A’s down the stretch last year, is still working his way back from an arm injury and isn’t expected to be an option for Oakland until May at the earliest.
Jennings was shifted to the bullpen by the Rangers last year and had a 4.13 ERA in 61 innings before losing his spot. He started off with a 3.26 ERA in 47 innings before the break, but he gave up 11 earned runs in 14 innings afterwards and was released.
The A’s said they planned to stretch Jennings back out and allow him to compete for a rotation spot. He’d be a long shot to make the team either way, but he probably will have a better shot of beating out Trevor Cahill and Gio Gonzalez for a rotation spot than he would overtaking any of the power bullpen arms.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (269)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)