Mar 1, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Almost immediately after it was announced that the Yankees had signed Chan Ho Park for $1.2 million, Phillies fans went crazy, wondering why one of the only truly effective relievers they had last year was able to get away so cheaply and easily. Park says it was all on the Phillies:
“I had a wish after the season. Philadelphia was the No. 1
choice. I had a tough time leaving there. I had much support from fans
and community, and I had the best teammates there, so -” . . . Asked why negotiations with the Phillies failed, Park said: “Too late.
Too late. Too late. It didn’t work well in the beginning, and later on,
too late. . . . They were talking, and it didn’t work. Trying to get a
deal, and it didn’t work out. And then later on they just gave up, and
The article goes on to note that Park was disappointed in Charlie Manuel making oblique jabs at Park’s toughness, saying when the team signed Danys Baez and Jose Contreras that they were pitchers who would never refuse to take the ball.
What the article doesn’t note — and what was rumored early in the offseason — is that Park was (a) telling the Phillies that he wanted to start; and (b) telling the Phillies that he wanted a lot more money than he ended up getting from the Yankees, so it’s probably worth taking the “why in the hell didn’t Amaro re-sign Park” stuff you hear from your pfriends in Philly with a grain of salt.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)