Chan Ho Park: "Philadelphia was the No. 1 choice"

Mar 1, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT

Almost immediately after it was announced that the Yankees had signed Chan Ho Park for $1.2 million, Phillies fans went crazy, wondering why one of the only truly effective relievers they had last year was able to get away so cheaply and easily. Park says it was all on the Phillies:

“I had a wish after the season. Philadelphia was the No. 1
choice. I had a tough time leaving there. I had much support from fans
and community, and I had the best teammates there, so -” . . . Asked why negotiations with the Phillies failed, Park said: “Too late.
Too late. Too late. It didn’t work well in the beginning, and later on,
too late. . . . They were talking, and it didn’t work. Trying to get a
deal, and it didn’t work out. And then later on they just gave up, and
I lost.”

The article goes on to note that Park was disappointed in Charlie Manuel making oblique jabs at Park’s toughness, saying when the team signed Danys Baez and Jose Contreras that they were pitchers who would never refuse to take the ball.

What the article doesn’t note — and what was rumored early in the offseason — is that Park was (a) telling the Phillies that he wanted to start; and (b) telling the Phillies that he wanted a lot more money than he ended up getting from the Yankees, so it’s probably worth taking the “why in the hell didn’t Amaro re-sign Park” stuff you hear from your pfriends in Philly with a grain of salt.

1. YankeesfanLen - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Sounds a little Damon-esque to me. These rotten owners!

2. jonny5 - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Well, most diehards knew Park was on the way out when his demands surfaced to start and a bump up in salary. He turned down much more than he’s going to get. I see why he’s so depressed about it. He’s going to be a storm trooper for Stien-Vadar ,AT A DISCOUNT!!! Wha wha what? Well how they say it in Philly. Park Phucked himself! And he kinda hurt the Phillies with his Illusions of starting on a championship caliber team. If he’d have just been logical about it, he’d be making twice the money to stay where he seemed to love to play for.

3. smokehouse - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Yankees get a steal.

4. Charles Gates - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM

said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. “He just comes out of the pen with a plus fastball and a snapdragon breaking ball.
    So he has a Antirrhinum majus breaking ball, an annual variety that requires a neutral pH and average moisture. Although, after his breaking ball is fertilized by bees, its blossom tends to drop off shortly after.

5. Utley's hair - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM

First, I wish Chan Ho Park all the best.
    “Why in the hell didn’t Amaro re-sign Park?” was replaced very soon after news broke that he was signed by the Evil Empire for half of what he was offered here with some variation on “What an idiot.” He had his chance at starting last season, and we all saw how that worked out. He’s a pretty good long reliever, but he needs to understand that he has to be called on more frequently than he likes. Part of me thinks he just likes the idea of four days off between work days–not that that doesn’t appeal to me, either, but I’m not making seven figures to play a game for six months out of the year. I wish Park every success, but I hope the Wankers and the BooSox get stung by the Rays and the Mariners.

6. Old Gator - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Time out!
    Craig, a quick thought: these threads are being larded down with spam posts, the entire point of which is to get us to click on the URL-activated poster’s names. Aside from being irritating – there isn’t one of us who wouldn’t back our open pit mine steamshovel (thought you’d like an image that might have haunted your youth) over a spammer if we thought we could get away before being seen – leaving the URL links active would make it possible for these capitalist peegs to vomit viruses into the intimate environs of our very own computers. Might not be a bad idea to decommission the URL links and render those posts as futile as they are stupid.
    Okay, now back to the drearily corporate-branded “Hardball Talk”….

7. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM

It’s been a constant battle for us, Gator. We’ve been working on it — you’re not supposed to be able to embed a URL in your name anymore — but the bots are ahead of our tech people on it.
    Looking for a solution on this, and hope to have it in place soon.

8. Charles Gates - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

My ‘Leave a comment’ section hasn’t had the URL Link for awhile now. I thirstily await the spam clean up though.

9. Old Gator - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I think William Gibson had it right in his Neuromancer trilogy: black ice. You fool aroun’ weeth my matreex, man, I send eempulse that fry you brain weeth it. Spammers die in Gibson’s work. I’m opposed to most forms of and excuses for capital punishment, but for spammers….
    Incidentally, there’s a nifty solution in Imamura’s film The Ballad of Narayama, too. Just bury the bastards alive.

10. Megary - Mar 1, 2010 at 2:35 PM

So…Next time someone asks the trivia question, “Who is given credit for the saying, ‘All things considered I’d rather be in Philadelphia’”, you now can correctly answer Chan Ho Park.

11. hop - Mar 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Looks like someone better give Utley’s hair a crying towel!! Aww still upset the Yanks took care of the Phils in the WS? If they play again this year the result will be the same baby!! Go Yanks, down with philly!!

12. Utley's hair - Mar 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Not at all. That was last year, and congrats to the Wankers for their check finally clearing–it was only a matter of time before the team that is pricing the small-market teams out of contention, and eventually existence, would win it all. All that while the vast majority of the nation is struggling with economic problems. But it’s a different season, and the Evil Empire will be brought crashing back to earth.

13. YANKEES1996 - Mar 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hey Utley’s hair, people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, know what I mean? The Phillies went out and bought several high priced free agents this offseason. Do not even get me started about your stupid comment about pricing the small market teams out of contention, ever heard of revenue sharing and luxury tax. The Yankees luxury tax bill has been higher than some small market teams payrolls and the Yanks have always paid it and never bitched about it. Oh yea, another thing these small market teams cry their eyes out about the Yankees and the Red Sox and the other big market teams when they have success but you sure don’t hear any fussing when the small market teams cash those revenue sharing checks do you! So the next time some fan of a small market team wants to gripe about the Yanks that is fine go ahead and gripe just make sure you send the revenue sharing check back to the Steinbrenner family!

14. Megary - Mar 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hurry up Craig. One more post and this fine discussion will be buried on the 2nd page.

15. hop - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Better keep your crying towel handy utley’s hair cause the phillies still only have 1 starter, no bullpen and if the Yanks get them again in the WS Howard is going to be setting a new strikeout record!! You should just be thankful you played the rays in “08 cause if it was against boston, angels, or Yanks it never would have happened.

16. Gregory Despain - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM

great site loads of info, and it helped me a lot, so i thought i might aswell drop ac comment i like your work here, you can find me over at Bontrade so just drop me a pm if need be.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3786)