Mar 1, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Derrek Lee is entering the final season of a five-year, $65 million contract and has made it clear that he’d like to remain with the Cubs, but Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that “there will be no negotiations this spring and probably not any during the season.”
Here’s what Lee had to say about the situation:
Am I worried about it? No. My only concern is winning baseball games. Contracts, they’ll take care of themselves. My numbers are going to dictate what kind of contract I get next year. So I figure if I just worry about playing baseball and helping my team win, all that other stuff takes care of itself.
Immediately after signing his current five-year contract Lee missed two-thirds of the 2006 season with an injury, but he’s played 446 of a possible 486 games since then while hitting .304/.384/.515 with 77 homers, 120 doubles, and 283 RBIs to go along with good defense at first base.
In fact, aside from that 2006 season Lee’s all-around value has consistently made him a top-10 first baseman for the past decade, including an MVP-caliber 2005 campaign that saw him lead the league in batting average, slugging percentage, and OPS. In other words he’s been really good.
However, he’ll also turn 35 years old this season and that fact alone makes it very risky for the Cubs to hand him a multi-year contract, particularly with an entire season left on his current deal.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)