Mar 1, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Derrick Turnbow is so determined to win a spot on the Marlins’ pitching staff that the big toe on his left foot being “a bloody mess” yesterday didn’t stop him from throwing a bullpen session:
“My toenail jammed up in my shoe about a week ago and it caused it to swell up,” Turnbow said. “It got infected and it affected my command a lot the first two times I was out. I didn’t say anything. Today, it busted open and all the blood came out. It felt better immediately.”
Turnbow’s toe exploded just before he stepped onto the bullpen mound. The pitcher removed his left sock to allow a trainer to apply a bandage, then began throwing and feeling better than ever. Marlins outfielder Cody Ross described Turnbow’s toe as “disgusting” when the pitcher showed it to him recently.
And to think everyone made such a big deal about Curt Schilling’s bloody sock.
Now that his toe has “busted open” and “exploded” into “a bloody mess” Turnbow believes his control will improve, but his track record of historic wildness suggests otherwise. When healthy and throwing strikes Turnbow has overpowering raw stuff, but injuries and walks are why he barely pitched in 2008, was out of the majors in 2009, and is trying to win a job on a minor-league contract now.
Turnbow has the worst walk rate among all active pitchers with at least 250 career innings, handing out a ridiculous 5.87 free passes per nine innings. He’s given up almost as many walks (168) as hits (206) during his career, including 63 walks in 30.2 innings between the majors and minors over the past two seasons. Amazingly, exploding toes are the least of the 32-year-old right-hander’s problems.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)