Mar 1, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Troy Glaus said yesterday that he’s “back to normal” and has “no limitations” after shoulder surgery limited him to just 14 games last season:
There’s no doubt that it feels better than it did in September. I was able to have a full winter of working out and getting in shape. During the last offseason and throughout the last season, all I could do is concentrate on rehabbing the shoulder. I couldn’t work out. I couldn’t lift weights. So my strength was down.
Glaus will have to get used to playing first base after a dozen seasons spent almost exclusively across the diamond, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .270/.372/.483 with 27 homers and if healthy can make a huge impact between Chipper Jones and Brian McCann in Atlanta’s lineup. Getting him for just $2 million was an excellent risk for the Braves to take and batting cleanup should give him a ton of RBI chances.
All of which is why Glaus was one of my fantasy “sleeper” picks among National League hitters. On average he’s being drafted 333rd overall in mixed leagues, but Glaus still has third base eligibility and the Rotoworld Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projecting him to hit .252/.359/.463 with 26 homers and 87 RBIs would make him a top-15 option at the position.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)