Mar 1, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Troy Glaus said yesterday that he’s “back to normal” and has “no limitations” after shoulder surgery limited him to just 14 games last season:
There’s no doubt that it feels better than it did in September. I was able to have a full winter of working out and getting in shape. During the last offseason and throughout the last season, all I could do is concentrate on rehabbing the shoulder. I couldn’t work out. I couldn’t lift weights. So my strength was down.
Glaus will have to get used to playing first base after a dozen seasons spent almost exclusively across the diamond, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .270/.372/.483 with 27 homers and if healthy can make a huge impact between Chipper Jones and Brian McCann in Atlanta’s lineup. Getting him for just $2 million was an excellent risk for the Braves to take and batting cleanup should give him a ton of RBI chances.
All of which is why Glaus was one of my fantasy “sleeper” picks among National League hitters. On average he’s being drafted 333rd overall in mixed leagues, but Glaus still has third base eligibility and the Rotoworld Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide projecting him to hit .252/.359/.463 with 26 homers and 87 RBIs would make him a top-15 option at the position.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (251)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)