Here's something you don't see every day

Mar 1, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT

Having Adam Dunn practice bunting is like having a navy captain practice scuttling a ship. I mean, sure, it’s probably useful that he knows how to do it, but if you ever see him actually using the skill, you’re pretty much screwed anyway.

1. Andrew - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I never want to see that again..

2. Jonny5 - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

That’s just as silly as having a guy built like a defensive lineman in the NFL play outfield. Oh wait, they did that too with Adam last season. I still giggle over that btw…… To see him chase the ball like he did, just to come up short anyway was priceless!!!! He’s really a DH stuck in the NL….. Such a shame…. Well I’d say if they start him anywhere other than first base they’re idiots!!!

3. Dan - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I didn’t read the article, but if he’s practicing so he can beat the shift and keep the defense aligned straight away than it makes sense.

4. dchase - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM

How many times have we seen a guy robbed of hits due to the shift, when a bunt down the left field line could have easily been a double? Carlos Pena is the only guy I have seen beat the shift this way, and it makes so much sense I can’t understand why more lefties don’t work on it. Let’s say the Nats are down 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth with nobody on base. Even if Dunn hits one out, they are still behind, so the value of simply getting on base exceeds the value of trying for a HR (considering the increased likelihood of making an out).
    You hear that Mark Teixeira?

5. Mr. Furioius - Mar 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

It would be interesting to do the math on whether the occasional bunt from guys against whom teams employ the shift is worthwhile. That is, if the one base they gain by that bunt outweighs a quarter of their HR/AB ratio. My guess is that it would be, if used sparingly.

6. Jamie - Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

And he really only needs to pull it off once or twice in April to keep defenses honest the rest of the season. I say try it.

7. GimmeSomeSteel - Mar 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I saw Griffey do this a few times when he was with Cincinnati, mostly when he was leading off an inning. He told a guy I know in the Reds’ front office, “It takes less time than working a walk, and it’s easier.”

8. Gee thanks! - Mar 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

“Let’s say the Nats are down 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth with nobody on base. Even if Dunn hits one out, they are still behind, so the value of simply getting on base exceeds the value of trying for a HR (considering the increased likelihood of making an out).”
    Thanks for this stunning analysis.

9. JBerardi - Mar 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Ted Williams sez: Yeah, you could bunt to beat the shift… if you’re 13 year old pre-pubescent girl. Swing for the fences, Adam.

10. Grant - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I think “dchase” is an alias of Joe Morgan’s…

11. scatterbrian - Mar 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Fantastic point, Dan.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4723)