Mar 1, 2010, 9:21 PM EDT
Let this be a lesson to you children: If you take steroids, you will never have a highway named after you.
In the wake of Mark McGwire’s admission that he took performance enhancing drugs, the Missouri Senate has decided that the stretch of I-70 in St. Louis – which runs near a stadium named after a beer company, by the way – should no longer be known as Mark McGwire Highway.
The bill, which would also name sections of other highways after noted (and presumably non-doping) Missourians, was passed by unanimous vote on Monday. It will now move to the House to waste yet more taxpayer dollars.
The hard part of this whole endeavor, of course, will be deciding whose names to put on all these highways.
Republican Sen. Kurt Schaefer of Columbia asked if those getting the honors were alive or dead. Schaefer says it might be wise to name roads only for the deceased, because they can’t do something worth changing the name over one day.
So there is a ray of hope for McGwire should he turn his life around in his remaining days on Earth. It’s also a practical plan, as dead people rarely go out of their way to ruin reputations, including their own.
The Senate proposes that the McGwire Highway should instead be named after Mark Twain, the legendary and beloved writer who was … ummm … also known to … err … frequent opium dens in San Francisco.
Uh oh. Crap. Now what? Don’t tell anyone about that.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)