John Smoltz is not running for Congress

Mar 1, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT

Weird story over the weekend as someone in the Republican party was telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s political reporter that the GOP intended to approach John Smoltz about filling the soon-to-be vacant Congressional seat currently held by John Linder.  Smoltz immediately shot down the idea saying that he had no interest in elective office.

It’s a little scary that we live in an age where people involved in party politics recruit — or at least try to recruit — candidates based solely on their popularity and celebrity. I love John Smoltz the pitcher, but really, what are his qualifications for public office? Last I checked there wasn’t much need for a devastating slider in the legislative branch.

1. Okobojicat - Mar 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

well, Jim Bunning is retiring in November. Perhaps there is a quota we need to fill of former pitchers?

2. Bobby Townsend - Mar 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Smoltz’ qualifications !!!!! He is a crook!!!! Look at all the $$$$$$$ he stole from the Red Sox last year for his non-performance.

3. onesweetworld - Mar 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Wait im confused. The GOP/Fox News did nothing but bash Obama for being a “Celebrity” and now all they do is recruit celebrities for office? Not to mention the celebrity status they help create for Sarah Palin and that senator in Mass who posed nude in the 80’s.

4. Old Gator - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM

And did you notice how Paris Hilton faded from the tabloids the minute Sarah Palin appeared on the scene? Two possible reasons: (1) Palin filled the ecological niche formerly occupied by Paris Hilton, or (2) they were actually the same person. This really smells like a Karl Rove job, doesn’t it?

5. Rays fan - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Call me cynical, but last I checked, there really was no requirement for elective office–meanwhile, popularity and celebrity are real likely to get a person elected.
    Onesweetworld–don’t look for consistancy or logic on either side of the aisle, you’ll just frustrate yourself.

6. Jick - Mar 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM

He hates gay people. Isn’t that enough?

7. Moses Green - Mar 2, 2010 at 7:58 AM

I have the pop culture scoop on these particular pop culture niches. Paris Hilton was thrust aside by “The Hills” girls, then Heidi Montag shoved all of her Hills girls off a Malibu cliff and took their attention. This last burst of “I’m addicted to plastic surgery and I won’t stop until I look like Jocelyn Wild(Kingdom)enstein” should be this particular zombie’s last hurrah for the cover of People magazine.
    No sir, in short, the niche in question has been filled by the “ladies” of the Jersey Shore.
    Sarah Palin causes me massively mixed-up confusion. I’ve never wanted to sex up someone I disliked so intensely. I want to do horrible, wonderful, perspective-altering things to her. I want to lick her from head to toe and if she ever takes off her glasses I will stop until she puts them back on.

8. LT - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:35 PM

congress doesn’t need a slider? haven’t you ever seen the picture of senators playing baseball (with Jack Kennedy)?

9. Old Gator - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Dear Buddha, what kind of painkillers have they been giving you? You’re not thinking clearly. What are you gonna do for conversation afterwards – you know, post coitum triste est and all that – especially if you don’t smoke and she eats saltines in bed?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto