Mar 1, 2010, 5:27 PM EST
Weird story over the weekend as someone in the Republican party was telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s political reporter that the GOP intended to approach John Smoltz about filling the soon-to-be vacant Congressional seat currently held by John Linder. Smoltz immediately shot down the idea saying that he had no interest in elective office.
It’s a little scary that we live in an age where people involved in party politics recruit — or at least try to recruit — candidates based solely on their popularity and celebrity. I love John Smoltz the pitcher, but really, what are his qualifications for public office? Last I checked there wasn’t much need for a devastating slider in the legislative branch.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 23
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)