Mar 1, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Weird story over the weekend as someone in the Republican party was telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s political reporter that the GOP intended to approach John Smoltz about filling the soon-to-be vacant Congressional seat currently held by John Linder. Smoltz immediately shot down the idea saying that he had no interest in elective office.
It’s a little scary that we live in an age where people involved in party politics recruit — or at least try to recruit — candidates based solely on their popularity and celebrity. I love John Smoltz the pitcher, but really, what are his qualifications for public office? Last I checked there wasn’t much need for a devastating slider in the legislative branch.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)