Mar 1, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Weird story over the weekend as someone in the Republican party was telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s political reporter that the GOP intended to approach John Smoltz about filling the soon-to-be vacant Congressional seat currently held by John Linder. Smoltz immediately shot down the idea saying that he had no interest in elective office.
It’s a little scary that we live in an age where people involved in party politics recruit — or at least try to recruit — candidates based solely on their popularity and celebrity. I love John Smoltz the pitcher, but really, what are his qualifications for public office? Last I checked there wasn’t much need for a devastating slider in the legislative branch.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12