Mar 1, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
MLB announced Monday that it would ban numerous types of maple bats from use in the minor leagues.
Few details have come out so far, but the ban is expected to cover all levels of the minors and will eliminate the use of maple bats under a certain weight.
The league also plans to look at the bats of major leaguers who frequently deal with breaks. Any big leaguer whose bat broke at least 10 times last year must consult with a panel of bat experts.
Unrevealed was whether this panel would be able to force a player to change bats.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)