Mar 1, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
MLB announced Monday that it would ban numerous types of maple bats from use in the minor leagues.
Few details have come out so far, but the ban is expected to cover all levels of the minors and will eliminate the use of maple bats under a certain weight.
The league also plans to look at the bats of major leaguers who frequently deal with breaks. Any big leaguer whose bat broke at least 10 times last year must consult with a panel of bat experts.
Unrevealed was whether this panel would be able to force a player to change bats.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)