MLB targets maple bats in minor leagues

Mar 1, 2010, 8:43 PM EST

MLB announced Monday that it would ban numerous types of maple bats from use in the minor leagues.
Few details have come out so far, but the ban is expected to cover all levels of the minors and will eliminate the use of maple bats under a certain weight.
The league also plans to look at the bats of major leaguers who frequently deal with breaks. Any big leaguer whose bat broke at least 10 times last year must consult with a panel of bat experts.

1. Harry Pavlidis - Mar 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Do they allow a few extra broken bats for guys who faced Mariano Rivera?

2. yankeh8r - Mar 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM

guess they call it a cutter for a reason. That and breaking ball was already taken.

3. Kanonen80 - Mar 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Paging Johnny Damon to the principals office….

4. Old Gator - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Maple bats aren’t so bad, really. They make this tiny little incision in the bark with their little teeth and lick up a few drops before it hardens. And this is wa-a-a-ay up high in the trees. What harm is there in that? It’s not like there’s a Dutch Maple Disease out there (vectored by a prion? Do trees have brains?) attacking the maples – and the bats certainly aren’t spreading it. We’ve had them tested.They don’t even shit in your collecting bucket because they only visit at night in the summertime. So you’re not gonna get Salmonella from them either (and I just loved Salmonella in From Here to Eternity.
    Now fruit bats, they could be a problem. Due to their diets, they have a tendency to projectile poop. I would definitely want to have a talk with any ballplayer whose bats kept splattering, even the ones that splatter purple, because antioxidants or not, grapes stain like hell.
    And that, naturally, brings us to vampire bats. What need I say? You just flat out don’t want to piss them off. And you certainly don’t want to give Richard Harris an excuse to unburden himself of another execrable performance like the one he secreted in Nightwing, do you?

5. Rays fan - Mar 2, 2010 at 12:52 AM

“Unrevealed was whether this panel would be able to force a player to change bats.” I, for one, hope so–before anyone gets impaled by a flying piece of bat.
    At the same time, I’d also like the college game to get rid of aluminum bats.

6. christopher828 - Mar 2, 2010 at 6:20 AM

Wow! You have seen “Nightwing”? I actually read the book. Much better than the movie, as usual. Vampire bats? Well thay are cool if you understand the sexual aspect of their blood sucking (i.e. girlfreind/wife/boyfreind). I’m talking real Vampires.
    However, I hate aluminum bats. The “bonk” noise they make is not “Baseball”. It is techno. Brings to mind “Foam Dancing” and such silly stuff. The “CRACK” of the homerun is what your looking for. You can’t find that at ALCOA.

7. Mike - Mar 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Has anyone tried to put a thin aluminum rod through the middle of the bat to keep it from throwing projectiles at the pitcher, infield?

8. yazmon - Mar 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM

As MLB begins it’s Maple bat removal program, the Emerald Ash Borer has already begun it’s Ash bat removal program. http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=jconline&sParam=32922979.story

9. Phil - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM

As a former college baseball player in the days before aluminum bats, I remember hearing someone tell me that the school went through 100 dozen bats in a season between the varsity, JV and freshman teams. THAT’S why they use aluminum bats. The cost savings was huge.

10. TimberLee - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Can they even do this (ban maple bats) what with NAFTA and all?

11. charlie - Mar 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM

They tried cork

12. Old Gator - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Sure I saw Nightwing. Glad to hear the book was good because the movie….well, why kick a corpse, even an undead one?
    Oh dear, that vampire bite sex thing. If I could do a Terminator move I’d travel back in time and whack Anne Rice in her nursery for starting all this crap. “I am sorry Dr. Van Helsing, but I never drink…wine” was plenty good enough for me. Today’s real bloodsuckers wear overpriced three piece suits and work for companies like AIG, Bear Stearns and Congress, and their Renfields have names like Alito, Scalia, Roberts and Uncle Thomas.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5705)