Mar 1, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
MLB announced Monday that it would ban numerous types of maple bats from use in the minor leagues.
Few details have come out so far, but the ban is expected to cover all levels of the minors and will eliminate the use of maple bats under a certain weight.
The league also plans to look at the bats of major leaguers who frequently deal with breaks. Any big leaguer whose bat broke at least 10 times last year must consult with a panel of bat experts.
Unrevealed was whether this panel would be able to force a player to change bats.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17