Mar 1, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Signs. Portents. An irresistible opportunity for me to get in my recommended daily allowance of Mets bashing:
Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.
A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan.
25 — more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is
The cover of the sign’s C flew off and plummeted
nearly 200 feet to the empty seats below, sources said. The sign towers
over center field and is the centerpiece of the year-old stadium. Photos provided to The Post show the 15-foot-long, 35-pound acrylic
sheeting landed in a field-level section to the right of the sign.
“Once it hit the ground, it shattered into a bunch of pieces,” a team insider told The Post.
Despite the obvious damage, Mets doctors say the sign is doing just fine and will be ready to go by opening day.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 167
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 134
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (175)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (138)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)