Mar 1, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Signs. Portents. An irresistible opportunity for me to get in my recommended daily allowance of Mets bashing:
Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.
A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan.
25 — more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is
The cover of the sign’s C flew off and plummeted
nearly 200 feet to the empty seats below, sources said. The sign towers
over center field and is the centerpiece of the year-old stadium. Photos provided to The Post show the 15-foot-long, 35-pound acrylic
sheeting landed in a field-level section to the right of the sign.
“Once it hit the ground, it shattered into a bunch of pieces,” a team insider told The Post.
Despite the obvious damage, Mets doctors say the sign is doing just fine and will be ready to go by opening day.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)