Mar 1, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Signs. Portents. An irresistible opportunity for me to get in my recommended daily allowance of Mets bashing:
Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.
A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan.
25 — more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is
The cover of the sign’s C flew off and plummeted
nearly 200 feet to the empty seats below, sources said. The sign towers
over center field and is the centerpiece of the year-old stadium. Photos provided to The Post show the 15-foot-long, 35-pound acrylic
sheeting landed in a field-level section to the right of the sign.
“Once it hit the ground, it shattered into a bunch of pieces,” a team insider told The Post.
Despite the obvious damage, Mets doctors say the sign is doing just fine and will be ready to go by opening day.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)