Mar 1, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
Signs. Portents. An irresistible opportunity for me to get in my recommended daily allowance of Mets bashing:
Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.
A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan.
25 — more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is
The cover of the sign’s C flew off and plummeted
nearly 200 feet to the empty seats below, sources said. The sign towers
over center field and is the centerpiece of the year-old stadium. Photos provided to The Post show the 15-foot-long, 35-pound acrylic
sheeting landed in a field-level section to the right of the sign.
“Once it hit the ground, it shattered into a bunch of pieces,” a team insider told The Post.
Despite the obvious damage, Mets doctors say the sign is doing just fine and will be ready to go by opening day.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)