Mar 1, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Signs. Portents. An irresistible opportunity for me to get in my recommended daily allowance of Mets bashing:
Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.
A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan.
25 — more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is
The cover of the sign’s C flew off and plummeted
nearly 200 feet to the empty seats below, sources said. The sign towers
over center field and is the centerpiece of the year-old stadium. Photos provided to The Post show the 15-foot-long, 35-pound acrylic
sheeting landed in a field-level section to the right of the sign.
“Once it hit the ground, it shattered into a bunch of pieces,” a team insider told The Post.
Despite the obvious damage, Mets doctors say the sign is doing just fine and will be ready to go by opening day.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)