Mar 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EST
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, the Rangers are already exploring external options as they seek to replace the released Khalil Greene in a utility role.
Manager Ron Washington said last week that the team would stay inside the organization and choose from Joaquin Arias, Esteban German and Ray Olmero to fill the void. However, Sullivan brings up the names of Julio Lugo, Augie Ojeda and Ramon Vazquez as other possibilities.
Sullivan confirms that the Rangers have discussed Lugo amongst themselves. The Cardinals could be willing to move the veteran after signing Felipe Lopez to a one-year contract last week.
Ojeda was someone Texas considered over the winter before Arizona chose to hold on to him. He might yet come available if the Diamondbacks decide they have alternatives to serve as a backup at short.
Vazquez played for the Rangers in 2007 and 2008 before turning in a disappointing season with the Pirates last year. Pittsburgh would almost certainly be willing to move him if anyone would take on his $2 million salary.
The Rangers may wait to make a pickup until they see how Arias performs in camp. German would be a solid reserve, but he can’t play shortstop. Arias might be able to, depending on how his shoulder is doing. Arm problems have taken a toll on his throwing, and he can’t match German offensively.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)