Mar 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, the Rangers are already exploring external options as they seek to replace the released Khalil Greene in a utility role.
Manager Ron Washington said last week that the team would stay inside the organization and choose from Joaquin Arias, Esteban German and Ray Olmero to fill the void. However, Sullivan brings up the names of Julio Lugo, Augie Ojeda and Ramon Vazquez as other possibilities.
Sullivan confirms that the Rangers have discussed Lugo amongst themselves. The Cardinals could be willing to move the veteran after signing Felipe Lopez to a one-year contract last week.
Ojeda was someone Texas considered over the winter before Arizona chose to hold on to him. He might yet come available if the Diamondbacks decide they have alternatives to serve as a backup at short.
Vazquez played for the Rangers in 2007 and 2008 before turning in a disappointing season with the Pirates last year. Pittsburgh would almost certainly be willing to move him if anyone would take on his $2 million salary.
The Rangers may wait to make a pickup until they see how Arias performs in camp. German would be a solid reserve, but he can’t play shortstop. Arias might be able to, depending on how his shoulder is doing. Arm problems have taken a toll on his throwing, and he can’t match German offensively.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)