Mar 1, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, the Rangers are already exploring external options as they seek to replace the released Khalil Greene in a utility role.
Manager Ron Washington said last week that the team would stay inside the organization and choose from Joaquin Arias, Esteban German and Ray Olmero to fill the void. However, Sullivan brings up the names of Julio Lugo, Augie Ojeda and Ramon Vazquez as other possibilities.
Sullivan confirms that the Rangers have discussed Lugo amongst themselves. The Cardinals could be willing to move the veteran after signing Felipe Lopez to a one-year contract last week.
Ojeda was someone Texas considered over the winter before Arizona chose to hold on to him. He might yet come available if the Diamondbacks decide they have alternatives to serve as a backup at short.
Vazquez played for the Rangers in 2007 and 2008 before turning in a disappointing season with the Pirates last year. Pittsburgh would almost certainly be willing to move him if anyone would take on his $2 million salary.
The Rangers may wait to make a pickup until they see how Arias performs in camp. German would be a solid reserve, but he can’t play shortstop. Arias might be able to, depending on how his shoulder is doing. Arm problems have taken a toll on his throwing, and he can’t match German offensively.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)